Thursday, January 28, 2021

Getting Around Finally

I have been healing faster the past couple days!   

1.  I can mostly free-walk now (needed the walker only when I first got up yesterday).  Not normally or fast, but I can walk enough to function now and every day is better.

2.  I got down to the basement to do a load of laundry and it was easier than a few days ago.  

3.  Took the car out for a brief test-drive.  It is easier than even using the walker.  The hardest part was getting OUT of the car afterwards.  My right leg kept hitting the steering wheel.

4.  I have a last regular Dr visit later today.  I probably don't NEED the visit but it serves "for the record" in case something comes up later.  I'll use the walker, but probably won't need it.  Handy for carrying stuff!

5.  I think I will go out on the deck and maybe down on the backyard tomorrow (but not let The Mews out yet).  I have a couple small bags of kitchen scraps for the compost bin and they are starting to make their presence obvious.  :(

6.  I think I will leave the ladder up against the tree as a reminder.  I'll make a sign to hang on it:  "Use of ladders after age 70 can be dangerous to your health".

7.  I initially made a few ill-informed predictions about when I would be healed.  First, I thought 3-5 days.  Then, another week.  Well, Groundhog Day will be exactly a month and that is my more-informed guess for normal mobility.

8.  This January has not been "best  month ever" but I should be back to my normal activities soon:A strong man pulls a big truck

Sorry, just couldn't resist that!  A sense of humor is important.  "Laugh, and the world laughs with you.  Cry, and you cry alone"...

9 comments:

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

That bus says, traffic academy!! LOL, LOL!!

Yes, I am so glad you are coming along so nicely. At first I thought you would be out of commission for a really long time...but you are one determined man!! Kudos!
Would that some of my rehab residents at my work would be as strong willed and willing to have at it to get better.

Mickey's Musings said...

Good to hear you are healing fast. Must be because you were in pretty good shape before ;)
A reminder that we all must be aware that we are getting older ;)

ZOOLATRY said...

Addenda (or is addendum correct?) to No. 6:
What goes up must come down. One way or another.

And as to No. 7:
Forget Groundhog Day: remember it's that repetitive thing ...

Just a thought about No. 3: you could always order a car shipped from the U.K.

The tortoise and the hare: don't forget who won the race. Stay safe, my friend.



Marvelous Marv said...

So glad that the fall did not break your sense of humor! And I agree with Ann, especially about #3! Have a marvellously Happy Day!

pilch92 said...

I am glad you kept your sense of humor through your ordeal. I think that aids in recovery.

Brian's Home Blog said...

You need to hang your walker in the tree as your reminder!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I agree with Ann, you definitely don't want a groundhog day! I am glad you are healing so well, and quickly too although you may not think so.

Megan said...

Oooh - I do like the suggestion that you hang the walker in a tree - that would be fun (and it would keep the neighbours guessing!)

And #9: Note to self - make time to sit quietly with Laz and talk to him about climbing trees. Encourage him to believe that it's not a good idea. But ... if he insists, then sign him up for remedial tree-getting-down classes (as it seems that he's got the getting up bit pretty well covered).

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Timmy Tomcat said...

It is such good news that things are getting nearer to normal again. Great idea about the sign on the ladder Ha Ha

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...