Sunday, January 31, 2021

A Remembrance

Today, in 1966, my youngest sister was born.  It was a harrowing event.  It had snowed and blown for several days and drifts were piled up against the doors 6' high.  There was at least a foot of snow on the ground.  The major road behind our house was plowed, but not our neighborhood street.  

Mom was ready to give birth.  I was the eldest child at 15 and it was all a bit scary.  I was too young to really understand when my other siblings were born, but I knew something about it this time. 

The plowed road was 150' away from the garage.  Dad handed me a shovel and said "dig" as he wielded his own.  We dug out a path to the plowed road in a serious wind and had to repeat it as blown-snow came in. 

Finally Dad said, "you're in charge" and drove off with Mom.  No advice, no suggestions, just "do it".  So I did it.

Sometimes I think back on my life and note that Dad never really acknowledged anything worthwhile I did.  He was always rather critical and quick to point out errors.  But I guess what he said and what he thought were different.  When push came to shove, he was confident enough in me to just say "take care of your brother and sister" with some confidence and off he went with Mom...  This only really occurs to me while writing this.  

My recollection of the reports afterwards said 6 women were helicoptered to local hospitals for births that day and one was driven in.  That was Mom.

So there I was at 15 with a 13 year old brother and 9 year old sister.  Well, I had baby-sat/been in charge before for a few hours with prepared food but not for several days.  Damn good thing I used to help Mom in the kitchen...

I found food and cooked it.  I made sure my siblings got into bed at a decent hour.  I entertained and reassured.  Made sure they watched some favorite TV.  Dad called a few times to make sure we were OK.  We were.  I assured Dad we were fine and there was good food and all that.

The local road was cleared 2 days later.  Mom and Dad returned more easily than they left.  And brought a new sister.

Her name was Jennifer.  Mom forbid "Jenny" or "Jen" so we got away with "Jif" (she loved that brand of peanut butter as she learned solid foods).

I was off to college by then, and she loved it when I came home some weekends.  I was her mysterious Big Brother.  I wore hats then and always put mine on her when I arrived.  She loved that.  She was adorable!  And she adored me all her life.




Sadly, she did not have the charmed life I have had.  Mom and she did not get along as they both aged.  When Jen ("Jen" stuck better than "Jif") was in her 30s, it was discovered that she had an arterial/ventrous blockage what was inoperable at the time and that would likely kill her some random day.  

It happened when she was only 44.  Her male Partner In Life found her dead on the kitchen floor one day.  He has taken wonderful Fatherly care of her children since then.  A good person...

Jen raised 3 children to healthy adulthood, 2 of whom had cystic fibrosis and she spent a lot of time helping them survive as a single Mom.  She was a vegetarian, an organic gardener better than me, raised some fancy chickens for the unusual eggs to sell, and she followed The Grateful Dead when she could.  She happily shared anything she had.

When her partner announced a memorial for her, over 200 people attended.  She was loved and admired by many.  

So, today, I remembering her beginning and end.  It is not a very sad time.  She and family knew the brain blockage would get her some day.  She enjoyed her short life.  I think of her often.  Jen and Mom died the same year, just a few months apart and I lost a beloved cat.  2010 wasn't a great year here.

I'll remember her start in life more than her end.  It was unusual and memorable.  All of my siblings and I have some things in common that I cherish.  With Jen, it was organic gardening.  Jen wasn't a computer-type, but we exchanged letters sometimes discussing organic composting and our current heirloom veggies and a few thoughts on life in general.  

But she was always a special person to me.  So this post is about what started in 1966 and ended in 2010...


7 comments:

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am sorry your sister had such a short life. It is not so much the length of years that you live though, it is how you fill them, and it seems she had a very happy and fulfilled life.
You thought your father was critical of you. Being the eldest I felt my mother was the same way with me. (My father died when I was 5). It is only when you look back you realise that maybe it wasn't that way at all, but that they are preparing you for life ahead and all the knocks you may encounter on the way.

Brian's Home Blog said...

It's really sad your sister departed so early.

pilch92 said...

Beautiful tribute to your sister. It sounds like she was an amazing woman. I am sorry you lost her so young. XO

Megan said...

I have come to accept that my parents did the best they could - although it wasn't an especially good fit for my needs. Besides, they also (no doubt) experience imperfect parenting themselves.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

I had a lump in my throat as I finished reading your loving tribute to your cherished sister, Jen.
She was a loved lady and she loved back. Nothing much can top that.
Thanks for sharing her with all of us. Sorry her life was cut short...

Sending love and hugs back to you today.

In 1966, we moved to the home where my father had his business (attached to the house), and we all (three siblings), save for my Mom, had to help with keeping the driveway and sidewalks clear for his customers...and the back patio for the dog. Got to be interesting some years...esp when the plow would come by. UGH. We lived on a busy street, and therefore the plows came by several times a day. The worst year was when Dad was in the hospital, and it snowed feet every other day...and we didn't have any snow blowers...just good strong muscles! (So much snow that year, we had to bring each shovelful across the street to the factory property...at least the only traffic was snowmobiles, LOL!)

Mickey's Musings said...

What a lovely tribute to your sister <3
She sounds like she was a wonderful person and I bet you miss her lots.
I remember some of the snows that we god in the late 60's.
What we have been getting in recent years is nothing compared to way back then. We used to build forts and tunnels. Can't do that anymore where we are. Guess there might be something to this global warming...
Nancy (and purrs from Julie)

Timmy Tomcat said...

A very reflective day on a life well lived. It seems the cards are just like that for some of us but it sounds like she was a wonderful person and you and her children will keep her alive in hearts and minds.

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...