Saturday, July 20, 2024

Moon Landing Day

55 years ago today...

Man On Moon Apollo - Pics about space

Picture of first man on the moon - labelkurt

Neil Armstrong dead: Famed astronaut and first man on the moon dies ...

My paternal grampa told me he felt so lucky with his life.  He said he experienced the first airplane flight (by news, not personally of course) and lived long enough to see humans land on the moon and return safely.  He was very impressed by that.

And that was from someone who experienced WWI, The Great Depression, and WWII...  I was only 19, so I did not properly understand the event at the time.  In my life at the time, scientific advancement was routine and success was assumed.  

Medicine was much advanced.  I suffered appendicitis at 18.  At my grampa's age, I probably would have died.  And I was vaccinated agains several serious diseases.  In college, I was using a computer data center to write code (on punch cards) in Fortran and COBOL.  I could drive the family car, which was relatively solid and safe (station wagons were the SUVs of the time).  Food was refrigerated, safe, and abundant.  We had TV and A/C.

At my age then, grampa had none of those things.  And I suppose grampa was impressed by those things too when I was 19.  But the moon landing seemed to impress him very greatly.  In spite of the negative events of his (somewhat difficult) life, he remained a fairly cheerful and positive person.  He saw the advancements more than the failings of the world.

He was an organic gardener.  "Garden" doesn't quite describe it.  It wasn't a residential garden like we are familiar with today, but neither was it a farm.  It was about 1/2 acre, which he attended to happily when he wasn't building stuff in his large workshop.  I followed in his organic gardening habits and wood-working because of him (though on a much smaller scale.

And I don't want to leave gramma out.  She cooked wonderfully (Pennsylvania Deutch style).  When we visited, I would sit on the porch with her de-stringing beans and de-silking corn, helping in the kitchen too.  When I'm not strir-frying, I'm cooking basically like she did but with a a bit less frying.  "Like", not remotely as well (I still can't make a decent dumpling)...

But I mention her because she was fascinated by "outer space".  When we landed on the moon, she told me that if we could go "out there", then some other intelligent species could come "down here".  And she trusted the advancement of intelligent species.  She said that if a spaceship landed here, she would volunteer to go aboard.

So for both of them (and for general reasons), I wanted to honor this day...

4 comments:

Marcia said...

Good memories of good people. Always enjoy hearing about the old folks (hey with, now I am also old folks -- I too remember the moon landing)

pilch92 said...

I like to joke it was before my time. Only 3 days though. :)

Megan said...

It sounds as though your grandparents were both open-minded and curious people.

I was nine years old in 1969 and readily recall watching it on television in the school assembly hall.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

AnnDee said...

July 20 is our wedding anniversary. We used moon landing stamps on our invitations. Next year will be 50 years.

My dad was born in 1898. He was old enough to remember the adults talking about men flying at Kittyhawk and he lived to see men walk on the moon. An amazing life! We, too, were glued to the TV during the moon landing.

Old Basement Refrigerator

 I had an old refrigerator in the kitchen.  It wasn't the original one, but it was probably about 15 years old.  I decided it was suckin...