Monday, March 5, 2018

Blown Out Fence

I was wrong about my neighbor's fence being blown out in the windstorm of the past 3 days.  An 18-24" diameter tree fell over on it.  No fence panel is going to stand up to THAT. 

But I saw other fence panels blown out all around the neighborhood without trees fallen on them, so my original assessment of my fence construction quality stands. 

Most neighbors went cheap accepting commercial builders fences with 1x4" boards between the posts (and some posts just set in dirt because the owners didn't understand anchoring).  And the upright fence boards are just air-pinned nails.

I used 2x4" horizontal boards and used exterior screws instead of nails.  1x4" horizontal boards are cheaper and air-punched nails are faster. 

But they don't last...  Nails are good for about 5-10 years.  Screws are good for 10-30.  My fence is about 25 years old.  I've had to re-screw a few boards, but not many.  There will come a day when I have to rebuild the fence.  Even ground-contact pressure-treated wood doesn't last forever.  But not yet...

One of my windward side neighbor's huge trees are going to fall down and crush one of my 8' fence sections one of these days.  I can't stop that.  But it won't be a weakness of my fence, LOL!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I see paling timber fences being slapped up on the cheap in our neighbourhood and within months, the palings have started to warp and the nails are coming out. I don't understand why people think that paying more initially for a better quality job isn't the best value in the long term.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

The Whiskeratti said...

This has got to make you feel good!

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...