Thursday, April 11, 2024

New Refrigerator

I am very pleased with the new LG refrigerator (LRTLS2403S) in the basement.  Much more energy-efficient, and larger than the ancient one.  Separate humidity controls for the 2 crisper drawers.  Pocket handles (which are new to me) so nothing sticking out.  More shelf adjustments and the shelves are "spill-proof".  Which is only a 1/4" lip around them, but that helps.

There are deeper door shelves, a shelf in the freezer, and my temperature settings are more adjustable.  Using 2 different thermometers (that agree with each other), I have the freezer set to 0 and the cooler set to 34 (F).  I actually have "excess storage space"!

The ancient refrigerator got so bad it was creating a 2" block of ice beneath the freezer and I had to tap it off (carefully) with a small crowbar every couple of months, LOL!

In fact, with the freezer have a shelf, I am going to reverse my freezer habits.  I've used the kitchen bottom freezer more small containers and the basement one for long-term storage of meat in larger (shoebox-sized) containers.  Which was awkward, because all those small containers in the kitchen freezer wanted to fall over when I pulled out the freezer drawer.

The new refrigerator just has a freezer door at eye level and none of the containers have to move at all.  And since I take out an individually bagged portion of meat out of a meat-specific container every day (I get too organized sometimes, LOL) and a small container of frozen leftovers only every few days, it makes more sense to have the larger containers in the more-awkward kitchen freezer.  They don't fall over each other when I pull the drawer out.  

I used to use the small-container leftovers more than the larger-container meat ones.  But cooking habits change over time.  So that should work out better.

And I'm glad I bought the new refrigerator when I did.  Today (looking up the model number to post), I discovered the price went up $200!  Sometimes, I get lucky.  I am normally lucky about major things (and no complaints about that at all), but not so much all the minor ones.  So "lucky" on a minor matter is a nice change. 


1 comment:

Just Ducky said...

Looks very similar to my LG which is now nearly 8 years old. One thing mine has that yours appears to not have is a deli drawer that does all the way across, not just a small one on the side.

Been very happy with mine and at 22 cu ft, the largest refrigerator I've ever bought and it is now pretty much filled!

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...