Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Writing

Have you ever written something that needed to be posted at a given time and it was just horrible?  And you just couldn't fix it?  Most of us have.

I wrote a poem for Dr Seuss Day over a week ago and it was just a mess!  The idea was good but I had too many topics in it.  Cat In The Hat, falling from the ladder, Alice In Wonderland, etc.  Too much on my mind, I suppose...

I sent it to a friend (Ann of Zoolatry) asking for some help.  It came back much improved.  Inspired by the improvements, I kept some and changed some.  I fixed some rhythmic mistakes, so it reads better.  It's better than it was.  You can read it HERE.

In the same way, on another site I visit (not a "writing" site) someone suggested writing a first chapter (no full story or conclusion required).  It required a set up for a story, an object someone could sit on, and a single line from another character.  

I write short stories sometimes, so I figured all I had to do was drop the ending, make sure someone sat on something, and add a comment from someone else.  But I used a short story written before and reworked it.  Nothing said it had to be new.  But it had been included in a group "vanity press" book, so I decided that was improper.  And I couldn't come up with a new plot.  So I'm not submitting it.

I used to play chess a lot.  When I was younger, I could up with complicated attacks using spaces just vacated by a previous move.  Those are harder to detect.  About 10 years ago, I discovered I couldn't organize attacks any more.  Creativity was failing me.  I could defend well, and defense is important.  But at some point you actually have to checkmate the opponent to get a win.  A great defense usually leads to a draw.  I don't play to get a draw.

Getting older sucks...

3 comments:

Megan said...

Are these really examples of getting older? Perhaps they're examples of not practising these particular skills often enough to maintain proficiency. (That's my story, anyway - and I'm sticking to it.)

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Mickey's Musings said...

Gee!!! I like Megan's attitude.
I'm getting older too and I intend to fight it every step of the way!
At least that's the plan ;)
Cheers,
Nancy

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

This is why I keep on at my work...it get me out and around others, and it gives me plenty of hard work and strength training.I always say, I don't go to the gym, I go to work!

I found that after a few years of that work I am able to do things at home that in the past I would have wilted from:)

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...