Thursday, March 11, 2021

Day-To-Day

One good thing is that my normal temperature tolerance is returning.  For a decade, I have kept the day temperature at 72 and the night temp at 68.  After the ladder fall, I had to keep it 74F day and night and I was often wearing a sweater.  I am OK at 72 day in normal clothes and at night it felt "too warm" at 72 recently.  I think I'll try 71 at night.  

I keep reading about the clavicle re-attachment operation and recovery work.  It's beginning to seem like a good idea.  The shoulder is possibly getting worse.  It is so weak and I feel something moving often and it hurts some.  That's the worst time.  Other times, it doesn't bother me.  The Dr said I can decide anytime at this point.

It would be extremely limiting for 6-8 weeks and require actual knock-out anesthesia (which I fear) and more daily help than I could ask of good neighbor Deb (so daily onsite medical care visits on insurance) and probably a lot of expense.  

What I can't quite find out is how "back-to-normal" the operation would make me.   Athletes have this done, but they have training rooms, onsite medical staff, and no expense.  On my side, it is live with this for 20 years or go through a REALLY hard 8 weeks and I'm not sure which is worse.  Mild for a long time or really bad for a short while.

My Primary Dr has the same injury, and he said he decided not to have the re-attachment operation.  That is a reasonably professional opinion.  The Orthopedic Surgeon is neutral about it.  But I'm used to such full freedom of movement.  When I read the newspaper, I keep getting "ouchies" feeling "something" moving around in there.  

Maybe the minor "ouchies" go away after a while, or maybe not.  If I lived with or very near to family, I would probably go with the operation.  But some decisions are hard when you live alone.

I have a last scheduled visit with the Orthopedic Surgeon in 5 weeks.  I think I will see how things improve or don't by then.  I can get by that long without too much difficulty.  But if things are not better, I will have to discuss details of the operation and recovery with her.  

It might be that the assistance I need after a clavicle re-attachment operation is less than I fear or it may be worse.  And I might seek a 2nd opinion.  6-8 weeks in a serious compression sling is no small matter. But neither is maybe 20  years of less ability to engage in hobbies that would cause constant minor pain.

I know, "what is 8 weeks"?  Well, it is "forever" if you can't do anything yourself.  It has been just over 8 weeks since I fell, and THAT has seemed like "forever".  

I think what I will do right now is find a Physical Therapist on my health insurance plan.  I've been stupid not to have done that before.  But my Primary Care Dr showed some exercises and I looked up some on the net.  But maybe having someone actually show me what to do would help.  

I know, I know, see an expert...  So I will.  

I keep talking myself in and out of doing this operation...  I have to decide at some point and I'm unconfident of either decision.  I've learned just enough to see it both ways without a resolution.

If the problem was more serious, I would have an operation.  If it was less, I would just live with it.  This seems right on the balance point.

Indecision is awful!

10 comments:

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

Maybe the PT peep can help you make a decision about what to do, and maybe he/she can help you strengthen your arm/shoulder so that it may work better and with less painfulness.

I had PT for a bad left lower arm injury,and they always asked me what my limitations were and so on. And they take physical measurements to see the objective progress. I had a handgrip of very little, 15 or so...and I used to have been able to squeeze a tin can together, then I couldn't hardly hold my coffee mug. (I couldn't work either...), After the PT was done my strength was way up, almost to 80. That was years ago, not sure what my grip strength is now...LOL!

Maybe a second opinion would help, too.

Megan said...

Hey Mark - you live and learn. I can't see that you've got anything to lose my going to see a physiotherapist, S/he may be able to put you in touch with people who've had the operation so you can hear about their recovery period. But you're right: living on your own with no family close by has its hazards. I imagine that you could pay for people to come to your home daily to assist you with personal care (eg showering) and household tasks but ... when you're not used to having someone else in your house, that can be very challenging all of itself.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Mickey's Musings said...

A hard decision for sure.
Hopefully with more information the decision will be easier to make.
Nancy

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I think that seeing a physiotherapist will be a great help and also they will be able to advise you about the operation. One thing I will say is if you do go for it, don't fear the anaesthetic. I had a great fear of ever needing it but when I broke my lower leg badly (thanks Eric) they had to operate immediately because if they didn't there was a high chance they would have to amputate at the knee. I can remember the anaesthetist telling me to count to 10 and I think I got to 3. The next thing I knew I was in recovery. I have had a GA several times since then, but that first time has stood me in good stead.

ZOOLATRY said...

While you are pondering all of this, the right thing you should do ... consider your own
words:
But neither is maybe 20 years of less ability to engage in hobbies that would cause constant minor pain.

I believe you are still a young and active man, and maybe you want to be saying ... "giving up 20 years of less ability to engage in hobbies that I love to do, that are challenging and fun, and the things that are really "me", what I'm all about ... who I am." Don't give you
on you, Mark!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I agree, that's a difficult decision, anesthesia scares us too.

catladymac said...

THERAPY IS A GOOD CHOICE FOR RIGHT NOW. IT WILL CERTAINLY HELP.

AnnDee said...

Dan says get it done sooner than later, and he's had shoulder surgery.

When I was deciding about back surgery, one doctor asked me what I wanted to be able to do. I made a list, which I still have, and it helped me decide to go ahead with the operation. The first thing on MY list was to be able to stand in line or at the sink long enough to rinse dishes without my back spasming.

List EVERYTHING, even the little things like picking up a six-pack without thinking about it.

pilch92 said...

Sounds like you have a lot to think about regarding surgery. If you won't be able to keep doing things you love, it may be worth it.

The Whiskeratti said...

It's a big decision. I had a coworker who opted for surgery on her rotater cuff. Told recovery was 6 weeks. But she was still having pain over a year later, so it's not always the answer, unfortunately.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...