Sunday, December 15, 2019

Mac Mini Upgrade

AFTER I figured out just WHAT I was trying to upgrade, it took about 3 days and separately 13 hours.  Well, I did have old programs...  And I thought it was a good idea to allow everything the MacKeeper software suggested in the full scan.

Everything went bad for several days,  but I think we are back in business.  The last struggle was to get the Firefox bookmarks back.  Bizarrely, Firefox-On-Mac now seems to "promise" that everytime you upgrade, they wipe your bookmarks.  As if that is a good thing.  I don't know how it works on Windows. 

But I found guidance about restoring an "old profile" and that seems to be the key to keeping bookmarks.

The new "look" is  white text on a black background.  It was a real surprise, and it doesn't look all that bad, but I found a way on "display" to restore that!  Jut getting things working again is good enough for now.

And, so far as I can tell, I got all my other programs updates to work with Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, not that I see the benefits yet.  I'll play around on the puter to see if everything works. 

If anyone else is having similar problems, I may be able to help for a few days before the info fades away in memory.

BUT, I looked up the newer mac mini...

I went for a full new one.

So I just ordered the new mac mini.  It seems impressive.  The current one lasted 5 years.  The new one will probably last longer (seems about 5x the memory) AND it is a lot faster (and the current one still has the "slows" after all my work).

Cheers!



1 comment:

Megan said...

You are a brave man: tackli g a computer upgrade after all the hassle sorting out that ID stuff! I think I would have needed to give myself a month to recover from the ID 'project' before I could even contemplate it. Well ... actually: I wouldn't have tackled the upgrade. I would have paid someone to do it for me!

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...