Thursday, May 30, 2024

Gripes

1.  I had an old WWII clamp-on adjustable fluorescent lamp.  Used 40 watts.  Loved it for decades.  Simple on/off switch on the top.  But it started to "hum" all the time.

So I replaced it with a similarly adjustable but LED lamp.  It doesn't "hum" and uses about 11 watts.  But it comes with 4 buttons to control light color, intensity, and each has several degrees of brightness.  I kind of hate it.

All I wanted was a non-humming light with an on/off button.

2.  I have a cat who loves to fire-hose pee standing up like marking territory.  I bought litterboxes with high sides.  Now he just stands taller and aims farther up.  It must be deliberate.  

3.  I have a bad hip.  My Dr says I should smoke and drink less.  Duh!  But that isn't fixing my hip.  

4.  I've been laying in bed (hip thing) too long.  I need to get more active again.  But the hip thing isn't going away.

5.  The Weather Channel (online) makes a big thing about timing of rain.  Right down to 15 minute increments for the current hour.  So, it was supposed to rain at 3 PM.  At 2 PM, I was outside hauling some 50/50 topsoil/compost to fill up 10 gallon buckets for tomatoes/corn/beans/flowers.  

I was mixing in a balanced slow-release organic fertilizer.  And suddenly torrents of rain pelted down on me.  I barely got the dry fertilizer and the lawn tractor (hauling the buckets in a trailer).  And I was soaked to the skin by the time I got inside.  

6.  No one other than big box stores, Amazon, or Walmart delivers  anything when promised.  My new eyeglasses are 3 days late.  My driver's license should have arrived 2 days ago.  Maybe Amazon has spoiled me.

7.  Doctor offices are just as bad.  After getting put in an exam room, I am told "The doctor will be with you in a few minutes.  30 minutes is not "a few".  One day after 90 minutes, I was reaching for the door when the doctor arrived.  They should just be more honest!  If the doctor is an hour behind, they know that.  So just tell us, right?  I now always have a crossword puzzle or a book with me.

8.  This is not a gripe.  But it applies to waiting.  The DMV or MVA, (or whatever your driver's license place is called) used to be notorious for making you sit around forever several different times.  Last week, I went there.  After 10 minutes in line at the entry booth, I was given a number.  My number was called before I could even sit down!  And the people were friendly.  I was out in another 10 minutes!

9.  I was required to accept a new cable box recently.  I hate the changes.  Now, every time I turn on the TV, I have to refuse "pay-for" movie service.  OR it says (seemingly randomly)  "press any button to go to channels".  Any button sends you to the button you pressed, not channels.  I only watch HD channels and HBO movies.  

10.  I'm becoming slightly paranoid about 2 things.  OK, not actually paranoid, but there are 2 things that amaze me routinely.  The first is that, no matter when I go out to see if the mail has arrived (and it isn't), the mailperson arrives by the time I get back to the house.  And since they are going down the opposite side of the street, it is 10 minutes before they get to me.  So I can stand there for 10 minutes and wait.  

The mail usually arrives noon to 2 PM.  Yesterday, at 5 PM, I checked the mail and there was none.  I no sooner got back to the garage, here they came!  I have joked to myself that they sit at the top of the hill and wait for me to check my mailbox before they continue on their route.  LOL!

The other thing is one traffic light.  It allows me to return to my neighborhood across a minor highway.  From where I am coming from, there is absolutely no timing connection with that light.  Traffic on the route home eliminates the possibility.  

But 90% of the time (more or less), every time I turn the corner of the back road, I see the light to cross the highway just turning yellow!  And the highways gets 3 minutes so I have to sit and wait and wait...

11.  Motorcycle Guy!  There is some guy down the street that drives his motorcycle up and down the street many times a day.  I think he is a teen who is not allowed to drive out of the neighborhood.  So most days, he drives back and forth on our street.  

He has a right to do that (if of legal age - which you can't tell with a helmet on) but the noise is irritating and goes right through my windows and walls.  I've gotten so I cringe every time I hear him going back and forth.

OK, enough of all that...


 

2 comments:

pilch92 said...

All legitimate gripes. I know what you mean about the doctor making you wait once in the office. I find it even worse at the vet after the tech weighs my cat and asks questions it takes forever to see the vet.
That is funny about the mail. :)
I hope your hip feels better soon.

messymimi said...

Sometimes you just have to let it all out.

Old Basement Refrigerator

 I had an old refrigerator in the kitchen.  It wasn't the original one, but it was probably about 15 years old.  I decided it was suckin...