Wednesday, May 10, 2023

The Non-Joy Of Repairs

The heat pump has been making a lot of noise and the A/C is working poorly.  I contacted the company that installed it originally and repaired it once.  They sent out a technician.  It was very difficult to understand what he was saying (language issues).  Everytime I thought I understood what he was saying the problem was,  he then said something that made me realize I had not understood him.  

And in fairness to me, he said some conflicting things.  I can't repair a heat pump (very specialized equipment), but I have enough science and engineering to understand how they work.  And a few of the things he said didn't make much sense.  It was basically like he didn't really know what the problem was, but he offerred some suggestions that were contradictory.  It's like he knows what he is trained to do according to readings he gets from diagnostic equipment but doesn't really know why that fixes anything.  

And he said things like "the compressor is working fine" and then a few minutes later "there is a part in the compressor that isn't working".  Well, it can't be both, can it?  He also said the bad part in the compressor can't be replaced itself.  

And "it's 2-3 pounds low on freon (the coolant) and that's $130 per pound".  When I asked what would happen if the compressor had to be replaced (me knowing the answer), he said it would all be lost and I would need even more pounds.  At least he got that right.

He seemed to be suggesting I should just live with the noise.  Admittedly, the mechanical racket only occurred briefly while he was here.  It is irregular, and (of course) didn't happen very long while he was here).  There is an old joke definition of weird car noises.  "Something that won't happen in the presence of a mechanic".  ðŸ˜¢

The heat pump is over 10 years old.  It is about time it began to fail.  After some repeated (and rather circular conversations, I concluded the best choice was to have the compressor replaced and asked him to arrange that.  He said he couldn't and that I needed to call the company.  I now think they sent out a local independent (barely-qualified) guy and I'm kind of ticked off about that.

But I called the repair company later Monday to arrange for a compressor replacement.  The scheduler said they had to get one from the supplier and would call me when they had a delivery date.  No estimate of when that would be.  

Then I thought I found the cause of the mechanical racket.  When I moved my ears around the outside unit, I discovered the side of the unit where there are ventilation slots was vibrating.  I also discovered that if I shook the unit, the fan wobbled loosely.  

I pressed a piece of tree branch against the side panel and anchored it with a cinder block.  That suddenly lowered the noise level.  I also shook the casing around the unit and discovered the fan wobbled loosely.  The screws that held the fan and motor were rusted tight, but some Liquid Wrench (a lubricant-penetrant) allowed me to loosen them.  Some were actually already loose (when I broke the rust loose.  So I tighten them.  The fan stopped wobbling and the heat pump operated quietly.  I thought I had solved the problem.

I called the company to tell them not to order a new compressor just yet.  The scheduler had other people on line and said he would call me right back.  An hour later, I called back (assuming he had forgotten).  Well, of course not.  He simply decided not to call me.

Why?  He said he had described the problem to his Boss and Boss said he was familiar with the sound I was describing and would call me himself.  So of course the scheduler guy didn't see any reason to call me back...  AARRRGGGHH!

The Boss hasn't called yet.  Meanwhile, the heat pump has started making the same noises again.  My temporary fixes didn't last long.  Well, I didn't really expect my little fixes would last long, but I did have some hopes...

But I did get one possibly helpful thing done.  Yesterday afternoon, I was clearing weeds where I plan to plant tomatoes.  Which is near the heat pump.  Which turned on and made the same mechanical racket and it continued.  

So I got a bright idea.  I made a video of it with my camera!  The picture means nothing, but the audio is documentation.   If the Boss knows about "bad sounds", I can play it for him over the phone or in person.  Now all I have to do is get in touch with him later today.

If you read all this to the end, thank you...


1 comment:

Marcia said...

And the saga continues..... Hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...