Saturday, January 14, 2023

The Fenceside Perennial Bed, Part 2

So, more and later pics when it was in its prime...

First, I have to say that I am bad at remembering names.  If I see a flower name, I can usually see the image in my mind.  But seeing an image doesn't get me the name all that well.  I envy those who can do both.

Stoke's Aster.  It may be my favorite perennial.  It lasts darn near forever (I think these are 20+ years old), blooms dependently, and never seems to have a weed problem.

Not sure.  Lobelia?  Salvia?

I love Purple Coneflowers!

Rose Of Sharon?  They didn't last long.

Moonbeam Coreopsis, I think...  They didn't like the garden competion much, so I moved the survivors to a large deck pot where they have resided happily ever since.


'Autumn Joy' Sedum in final color... 


A domesticated hybrid Goldenrod.  It died after several years, but I sure liked it.


Some Aster?


LC's burial spot, surrounded by lovely flowers...


And Skeeter's...


I finally gave up on edging flowers and planted species daffodils.  They still come up, but there are fewer each year.  Grass gets in and gives them some problems.  I planted crocuses among them.  The voles got at those pretty fast.  I'll have to redo that.

So that was the perennial bed in the early years.  Nothing lasts forever, though.  Spring will be the time to fix problems.

 

2 comments:

Megan said...

Does that mean that you need to need to plant them inside your little wire cages so that voles can't get at 'em?

How come the grass doesn't get into the daffodils in your front yard?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Marcia said...

Jealous, jealous, jealous. Here in the desert, we only dream of having all those beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing them for us to enjoy.

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...