Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Halloween

 I almost carved a pumpkin this year.  I even bought good one (cheap - $3.99).  And I found 2 nice cat designs online.



The 1st looked a bit complicated.  I would have cut off one of the legs or something.  And it might have been interpreted negatively.  I mean, who would approach a door where the pumpkin is "mooning" you?

So I thought maybe the 2nd would be better.  Lots of small cuts rather than a big one, more immediately-identifiable from a distance, and much more friendly-looking.

I only considered it because there are new (but trick-or-treating age) kids next door and across the street.  I haven't had a trick-or-treater knock on my door (or seen any out visiting other houses) for 15 years.  But then it occurred to me that I didn't have any suitable treats (loose unpackaged Sweet-Tarts that I keep in a jar didn't seem appropriate).

So I decided not to bother.  I usually just keep the house dark on Halloween these days anyway.  So I decided not to bother carving a pumpkin.

Then, just before dark, I realized I had some candy safe to hand out.  I have Lindor truffles in mil-chocolate hazelnut, white chocolate, and extra dark chocolate.  

And I do  have a couple of costumes I could wear.  One is a wizard outfit I made 2 decades ago.  Black cloth, sleeves draping at the wrist, iron-on shapes of moon/sun/stars/comets, etc.  But it is kind of awkward to wear.  I also have a kind of cowboy outfit.  Boots, vest, gambler-style hat.  But I also used to collect T-shirts.  Weird ones!  I used to wear them to the office on Casual Friday.  One is covered with tarantulas.  I decided that was easiest to wear and appropriate to the holiday.

So there I was.  House lights on, uncarved pumpkin at the front door, Lindor milk chocolate/hazelnut for kids and extra dark chocolate for the adults, dressed in tarantulas.

Not one trick-or-treater showed up!  Again...  

Do any of you still get trick-or-treaters?  Or is the holiday dead now (for door-to-door visits)?


[Edited to add:  "Mark's Mew's is temporarily offline.  Google has locked it for "violating community standards".  I have no idea why (what can be offensive about a cat blog?) but I have asked for a "review" and hope to hear from them soon.  It is very distressing.]

5 comments:

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I saw your latest post in my reader and got the message that it had been removed. The bots obviously thought they saw something that wasn't there. I hope they review it vey quickly and reinstate you.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Thank you. I am working on the odd situation. I am sure the Mark's Mews blog will be restored soon, but it IS really strange.

Megan said...

Hi Mark. Got on to this blog, but, of course, not the cats' blog. Perhaps the interwebs thought that your four were all going to moon cyberspace as their contribution to Halloween and banned them in anticipation? LOL

I do believe that you're ready to move to Australia. Retailers here have been trying to get Halloween off the ground for a number of years now but there's not been much interest. I think we've had trick or treaters once in the 27 years we've lived where we are now, and that was probably 20 years ago. In this day and age, it seems pretty weird to have kids running amok on the streets, knocking on doors of people they don't know and accepting way too many sugary treats from them!

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Marcia said...

Hope to see the return of the Mews PDQ ! Best of luck with this weird situation.

catladymac said...

Maybe Google was insulted by the mooning cat ?? (This isn;t the only place I saw thatpumpkin pictured.)

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...