Tuesday, November 1, 2022

The Deck Garden

I've shown pics of my deck garden in the past.  I grow various lettuces, celery, and pak choy.  Most of them are "cut and come again".  But eventually, they wear out and die, so I have to plant again.

So I planted all again a few weeks ago.  They are doing great.  They grow fast in warm weather and don't mind cool temperatures when they are mature.  I will have to take them inside (under lights when the first hard frost is predicted) but the current Weather Channel forecast says that will be a couple more weeks.

The late "first hard freeze" is amazing.  It used to be in late October, but in the past decade it has gotten later by 2 weeks on average.  And this year will be a week later than average.  My trees and shrubs are finding the change difficult to adjust to (my newer plantings are from what was a zone further south years ago).

But my deck garden loves it.  They don't know the date of course and have no knowledge of previous years; all they know is that the temperature suits them.  They are growing quickly.

The lettuces et al were like this 2 weeks ago...


Now they are this:

The celery doesn't make true stalks here. but it is the stronger-tasting leaves I like anyway.


The lettuces are thriving.

The pak choy leaves are for wrapping contents in my Spring Rolls.  The leaves add some flavor, but mostly the prevent the contents from poking holes in the wrapper.

I am looking forward to a new batch of "cut and come again".  


3 comments:

pilch92 said...

Everything looks good. We picked the last of our lettuce the other day. My hubby had to cover it when we had a frost as we have had several.

Lizzie said...

Just went to Mark's Mews and got this:
"Blog has been removed
Sorry, the blog at marksmews.blogspot.com has been removed. This address is not available for new blogs."
Hope it's a glitch and you will reappear soon!

Megan said...

Yes - they lettuces look fabulous. Well done.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Refrigerator Troubles

You may recall I was planning to have a new refrigerator delivered tomorrow.   The deal was that I would have the new one in the kitchen, th...