Monday, June 27, 2022

I Am Back

I went offline for a few days because I was angry and didn't want to inflict that on friends.   I am very political in some ways, but it is more personal views than organized politics.  I am not a member of any political organization.  Well, OK, I am registered as a Democrat.  Maryland US is a very definite Democratic State, and I want to vote in the Primaries.  

I have strong political/social views.  Always have.  When I was 10, I was allowed to stay up late to watch the Nixon/Kennedy debates in 1960.  Then in 1964, I supported Goldwater because the Democrats were just dithering about Vietnam and Goldwater said he would settle it.  I was 14, what did I know?  

In 1968, I went off to college (safe from the draft) but demonstrated against the increasing warfare (to no purpose as I saw it).  The body bags were coming home...

And I hated Nixon.  He lied and cheated.  I didn't know worse was to come with Reagan and Trump.  Today, I would take Nixon over Trump any day.  But you never know what the future will be when you are in the present in the past.

I screamed and yelled when Gore was denied the Presidency for reasons I considered cheating.  Probably slightly the same as Trump supporters do now.  But Gore conceded after the courts decided against him.  Trump did and does not.  So there are differences in accepting "the rule of law".

Which brings me to today.  I had "anger issues" in the past.  I spent my time on yelling and screaming sites into the early 2000s.  I punched a few holes is those cheap Luan doors I have (had them replaced later).  

I left those sites and I left the anger.  I started following a few calmer sites.  Max The PsychoKitty, a book discussion site (Clan Of The CaveBear) which focussed on the story and facts about 20,000 BCE.  A site that discussed religions factually (which was surprisingly calming, as it forced rational replies).

Last week, the US Supreme Court approved anyone carrying concealed guns.  I have concerns about guns.  I can argue about what a "well-regulated militia" means regarding the 2nd amendment.  But I did not "lose it then".

I "lost it" Friday morning upon hearing the the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade.  After the leaked draft opinion a couple months ago, I thought it would have to alter the opinion because of what I (personally) thought were serious errors and was in opposition to the know general will of the population.

I really just didn't think they would do it!

I threw the radio across the room, scattering backup batteries everywhere.  Talk about "blaming the messenger" (sigh)...  I wanted to yell and shout here.  I stopped myself...  I decided to go offline for a few days to not say anything to upset friends.  It took several days to calm down.

I am no less angry, but I am back in control of it.  Being angry won't change the Supreme Court decision.  I will focus on future political actions.

I was wrong.  And I shouldn't have been surprised.  We have a very conservative Supreme Court now.  But I am not going to argue about it here.  I don't want Cavebear's Lair to be a political debate venue.

So while my first instinct was to yell and scream about the decision, I decided to avoid doing that.  You are all too important to me as long-standing friends.

I apologize for upsetting you all with the too-brief post saying I would be gone for an undetermined time.  I wasn't sure how long it would take.  But it was all I could say at the time.  Best to stay offline a few days than to post something I might regret for months or years.  



6 comments:

ZOOLATRY said...

I really didn't think they would do it. Really.
Anger well tempered.
I write as a woman of an age where it will never impact my body, yet impacts those who came from me and millions of others. Our voices, we, matter not. And the voices of our significant others matter not either.
Conservative feels like a wimpy word to use to explain (or excuse?) this.
It was, it is, a self centered uncaring and unconscionable decision.

Thumper said...

I get it. I've avoided blogging about it, or even talking much about it on FB, but the anger is palpable and the feeling of violation immense.

I was 100% sure they'd do it, but then that's what they got paid to do...there's no chance in hell the 3 Trump appointees weren't placed there for that exact reason.

Mickey's Musings said...

I am Canadian and I was upset with the decision too.

catladymac said...

Yes me too. And like "Zoolatry" said, I am at the age where I won't be personally effected...but that doesn't make me any less angry. I taught grade school for many years and I hate unfairness. And bullies. Glad you and The Mews are back.

pilch92 said...

I try not to get angry over things I can't control which is almost everything. I have never been political; I am registered Independent.

Megan said...

There's been a lot of coverage about the decision here in Australia.

When I was younger, I thought abortion was a moral dilemma for the two prospective parents involved, and if they had differing views, I felt that the woman's view should prevail, since pregnancy was going to affect her more than the man involved.

Now I do see abortion very much as an issue about control over one's own body and one's own destiny and it makes me very angry that other people would think it appropriate to tell me what I can and cannot do. That is unacceptable to me.

What I find especially odd about the decision is that I understood that there had been a lot of protests in the USA over Covid vaccinations and even about the requirement for people to wear face masks. I understood that the protesters were arguing that they should be given appropriate information about Covid but then left to make their own decisions about what they should have injected into their bodies or even what they should wear on their faces. If that line of reasoning was accepted by courts, then how can it be the case that it's acceptable to tell women that they can't terminate a pregnancy? I simply don't understand.

The other thing that seems quite peculiar to me is that the Republican party seems to stand for small government. But here they are unnecessarily involving government in decisions about my body.

Bizarre. And backward.

Not too late to emigrate to Australia Mark. C'mon down.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...