Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Old Dining Table

The new one replaces and old.  I was reluctant, as there is family history attached.  The table originally belonged to my maternal grandparents and there were a couple of matching pieces.  The only one *I* know of is a secretary desk I still have and the table.   Mom probably ate there when she was young.

I suspect there were more pieces of a set that were discarded over the years.  But the 2 pieces lasted through my parents and to me.  The secretary (writing table?) desk is pretty much untouched.  The dining table has sure gone through some changes though.  The 2 pieces were "honey oak" according to Dad.

He stripped the finish at one time as rec room furniture and painted it avocado with black legs. I got it as part of my first apartment furniture.  I eventually stripped it and renewed the original wood.   Dad saw it once and said I did "OK".  He was never heavy on praise and I might have been a bit heavy on the finishing.

But it has been my dining room table for many decades in spite of the weak side extensions.  Still,  I always wanted a sturdier one with a center leaf extention.  Bought it.  You read about the assembly yesterday.

The old one will live on though.  I have gotten it into the computer room.  It will be the platform for my old Civ2 offline game machine.  Beats the folding card table I'm using now.  WAY more stable.  I had to take all the legs off to move it and reattach them after.  Put a towel under the table to slide it on edge across the floors.


And quite frankly, as it is part of my family history, I can't bear to part with it...  I'm not sure what to do with the chairs...   I'll just find space to store them.  If someone wants the table after I go, there should be the chairs with it.

And all this (organized and without some junk parts)) will go on it...  Time to re-organize the computer room...


So the table and the matching writing table/desk live on.  I will probably keep them all my life.  What happens to them after depends on a time after I am gone...


2 comments:

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

I am glad you were able to repurpose that old table. It will live on to have many tales to tell...if it could, LOL!

pilch92 said...

Glad you are still keeping the family heirloom.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...