Sunday, March 8, 2020

Stopping For Awhile

I've gone and messed up the computer again, AND discovered I never did have it fixed right like I thought recently.  I thought the only problem left was duplicate photos.  And maybe I should have just lived with those.

But I hate unresolved problems, so I can't working at apps that promised to find duplicate photos and remove them.  They didn't work.  So last night I sat down and started deleting them manually.  It's tedious but doable.

I set up detailed folders routinely.  Used to drive the IT at work nuts.  Well, I like to make things suit myself, and what I could do, I did.

That has now come to haunt me.  My folder organization works fine for me, but apps (Windows nor Mac) are not designed to deal with such complications.  The old "iPhotos" Mac app undertood the difference between the original large photos and the highly-processed smaller photos I saved elsewhere.  The new "Photos" Mac app does not.  It sees ALL photos everywhere.

I did not know that.  So i managed to delete a whole lot of my processed photos while manually trying to delete "duplicates".  And that's not the only thing.  Nothing has really been working right since I "upgraded" to the latest Mac operating system (Catalina).

It can't be removed.  Which is why I bought a new Mac, but tipped a glass of wine onto the old one (killing the hard drive), and have been struggling since.  Some of that is not Apple's fault (they didn't tip the wine glass).  But that wouldn't have happened if Catalina was revertable to the previous operating system like all the previous ones were.  If it was revertable, I could have just reverted and gone happily on.

So here is the situation.  I'm going back to an October backup from an external hard drive of the later-drowned Mac HD.  I will try migrating back to this computer.  I will then try to use the backup I will make to a different external HD with some current files (like my email and new photos).

And I am going to be gone until then.  Days, weeks, I don't know.  What I do know is that I can't blog, visit, try to fix the computer (getting everything back), get my garden going, repair balky yard equipment (having a problem with those too), and take care of home and cats all at the same time.  And if I try to spend most of my day getting the computer back to pre-Catalina, I will go utterly nuts.

So, this is a (hopefully) brief sign-off and I will return with a gloriously working computer and a lot of new cat-pictures.  If I fail, I will starting from scratch, and I will go from there.

But I don't know when...

9 comments:

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am sorry you are having so many problems, but like the Mews I am sure you will get it sorted eventually. Hopefully not too long though.
I have heard from so many people how wonderful Apple is and why don't I try it. Undoubtedly it is when it is working right, but it is not acceptable that you can't revert to a previous version. It seems like a form of blackmail.
Good luck! You will be missed until your return.

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

Hang in there, and do the most important things.
All of us here will wait patiently for your return. Hope you get things fixed to your satisfaction soon.

(Glad *we* have not installed Catalina...)

Brian's Home Blog said...

Dang, how very frustrating! We hope to see you on the sooner side of later!

The Swiss Cats said...

Computer issues sucks ! We're sorry you're having so many problems ! We cross our paws and hope things get fixed very soon. Purrs

Katie Isabella said...

My boy told me not to upgrade to Catalina and I have refused the upgrade request daily. This computer was bought late 2015 and that's old. Don't need nor want Catalina. Now while I have not had a problem, I accidentally discovered I can click on iPhotos and get a bunch of photos that were in there Regular Photos of course is where they go by default. I probably haven't grasped the fullness of your dilemma. I would hope that uninstalling would work. I'm sure you have tried that and I am the last person ever to try to help with IT problems.

Megan said...

Oh Mark - I thought you'd conquered. Rats, rats, rats.

Looking forward to seeing back here.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

catladymac said...

We just hope no photos or other good stuff were permanently lost !

Timmy Tomcat said...

Yeah Macs are nice until... Dad does not like them a bit. That said Win 10 does the same thing and if you use the Win app then you are in trouble. Why Dad has always used third party "Ifran View." Free and a great quick photo editor and then Corel Paint Shop Pro for detailed stuff. We keep back ups galore and are glad you do too.
PS
Dad was going to start deleting duplicates when we upgraded to Win 10 since it reminded him he had so many but it does not let you "see" where the duplicate that you are deleting is so... no good. Dad uses lots of folders too. We use a yearly folder that we keep folders in that are just the date of downloading off the camera. ex: 30-10-20. Then we put a "03-10-20 Fun" folder within that one to keep or edited photos in. Then a "03-10-20 posted" folder for those we post. Keeps them all straight. Sure your system is right for you too.
Purrs

Carol said...

Dear Mark, wishing you and the kitties all the best until we see you again... and as Brian said, "we hope to see you on the sooner side of later"...

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...