Sunday, March 29, 2020

Adjusting To CoVid19

I'm being careful.  Last month, guessing that things might get bad, I safely shopped in a grocery store and Walmart for basic supplies.  I didn't overdo it.  I didn't buy 2 years worth of toilet paper or 50 gallons of bottled water.  I didn't buy a case of canned chili (gag), a dozen frozen pizzas, or every box of chicken pot pies.  I didn't buy 5 gallons of milk (who can use 5 gallons of milk before it spoils)?  I'm reasonable. 

I did buy some large bags of frozen veggies.  I like veggies, and frozen isn't too bad.  I bought some canned goods (beans and corn) and 4 gallons of distilled water "in case", but not much else. 

I already had several months worth of frozen cooked meat (I routinely smoke a pork shoulder and cook chicken thighs en masse sometimes) and put them in 4 oz portions for future meals.

I didn't try to raid local stores of hand sanatizer or masks.

But it can be amazing what a packrat like me has sitting around...    I found leftover hand sanitizer from when my becoming-demented Dad was living here in 2012 to 2014.  I found I had a large bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol (why 91% and not just 90% baffles me) in the back if the bathroom cabinet.

More to the point, I do some woodworking and sawdust is always a problem.  I had a sawdust mask I had used too often and noticed a box on a basement windowsill.  Well, stuff sits around here a long time without really being noticed sometimes.  It is a box of 20 N95 respiratory masks

So I have a quandary.  I could donate it to a hospital or keep it.  A hospital would use it up in a few minutes.  To me, it means possible safe grocery shopping for several months.  I'm in the danger range for CoVid19.  Over 65 and respiratory issues.

What would you do?

6 comments:

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

When I saw what was going on in China back in January I began slowly buying extra things for my pantry. Nothing extraordinary. Just everytime I went I bought paper products (I use a lot with all the animals around) or a few extra cans of something. On Jan 28th I ordered some masks on Amazon -- they are still on order. One day I'll get them and they'll sit on the shelf. So you asked what would I do with the masks? Since I'm doing this solo, I would keep the masks. I mean if you had 50 of them maybe donate some but keep 5 or so. Each of us has to look out for ourselves, that is not being greedy that is being smart. As we can see with all the nonsense going on with Government they are NOT going to 'take care of you'. Not at first, and if they do 'take care of you' Americans are getting their first taste of doing WHAT you're told to do and how to do and when to do it. I'm not sure a lot of people like that approach.

Just Ducky said...

Keep the mask, you are an at risk person and likely with no other close family member to go out for you when needed. Stay safe at home as best you can.

I bought a few extra things in early March for the freezer, a few extra can goods etc. I feel safe enough to go out to my local grocer. It is a small store, slightly higher end so fewer people shop there. I can be in and out of the store in 15-20 minutes. Home to do what I want at home, inside or out.

Katie Isabella said...

Keep them. I have a dozen I didn't;t know about till a few days ago. Left over from when one of my sons was horribly sick with a violent attack of the flu. I'm vulnerable what with heart issues etc so yes, I am keeping in case *I* get sick and someone has to come in here to help me..

Thumper said...

Keep the masks. You're in a risk group, and most hospitals--except for the ones in major cities--are beginning to get supplies in. The Spouse Thingy has 4 masks on hand at work. They can be reused. After you use one, wipe it down (don't soak it) and then hang it up to dry...you can use it again once it is dry. With a box of masks on hand, if you reuse, you'll have enough to carry through.

If there is a huge need for them in your area...no, they won't get wasted in a few minutes. Like I said, the N95 masks can be reused, and are being reused (surgical mask over the N95 for extra protection.)

We saw all this coming back in January. Bought a freezer, and slowly started stocking up. Nothing insane, just a few extra things here and there, until we had enough on hand to last 3-4 weeks...and *then* people started panic buying. Only thing I can remotely say I rushed out to get was cat food.

Megan said...

I"m also going to vote that you keep them Mark. I work in health care, and my experience is that if a member of the public walked in and donated medical supplies of any kind, we probably wouldn't use them. We order our supplies through accredited suppliers. Accepting donations from the general public would mean not being sure precisely where they've come from and in what conditions they've been stored and whether or not they've been tampered with prior to being donated. For this reason, I think your donation would probably be in vain.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Ivan from WMD said...

I agree, you should keep them.

I too found two N95 masks I had, when I'd totally forgotten about them. It was like finding a $20 bill! (I had been looking for my disposable gloves.) Word to the wise, though--mine are several years old and the elastic bands broke immediately. I found this out in the grocery store parking lot and hadn't even considered this possibility. I will repair them before I venture out again, since I am also in the magic age bracket.

Refrigerator Troubles

You may recall I was planning to have a new refrigerator delivered tomorrow.   The deal was that I would have the new one in the kitchen, th...