Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Books

I was a young reader and loved reading books as a child.  I always needed more books to read.  The first document I ever owned was a library card.By the time I was 12, I had read the entire family encyclopedia of 25 volumes and several of my parents' saved textbooks.  I had gone through the entire local library's "young adult" section (defined as age 12-15 or something close to that).  I had to get permission from my parents and the librarian to check out more adult books.

My parents approved, but I vaguely recall the librarian asking questions about the difference between information and fiction.  I don't recall my answers the least bit, but apparently, when it was clear I understood the difference between William and Clark exploring Western North America and Isaac Asimov and Buck Rogers, I was allowed to read more adult books. 

In the years afterwards, I spent a LOT of money buying both science fiction AND information books.  So I love books and cherish the enjoyment of reading and the real information at my fingertips.

10 years ago, I packed half of my sci-books into boxes  to clear some shelf space.  It was the half I thought the least of.  A few years ago, I went through my shelves and removed those "information books"I thought had little value.  Those got tossed after I learned the local library didn't want my kind of books.

I've started a de-clutterring project.  Today, I went through the information books and tossed most of them into the recycling bin and put more in boxes in the garage because the recycling bin was filled. 

The era of information books is over.  The internet provides all the information I can use.  I skimmed through many of the books and I couldn't find anything in them that wasn't easier to find on the internet.  Basically, the internet (in this regard) is a bigger faster library a few keywords away. 

And books go obsolete so quickly sometimes.  Or even were decades ago.  I looked at one World History book and it was written in 1937!  So I got brutal about it.  Any information book that seemed overcome by new information (historical, scientific, or repair) went. 

I kept books like 'The Peter Principle' and 'Murphy's Laws' and 'Flatland' and Human and Cat evolution.  And those may go in the some future weeding.

Six 3' shelves became one.  Some I'll keep because their information doesn't age much (backyard landscaping projects or linguistic explanations).  And some books went because I'm not sure why I bought them in the first place. 

But I bet I tossed out books that cost me $5,000 originally.  And a shelf of National Geographic maps; Google does that better.    I got rid of 10 years of various magazines a few months ago.  I got rid of books of Poe stories and Kipling verses.  I even tossed al dozen Ayn Rand books I thought I would read and never did after 20 years.

I hesitated before doing this today, but I thought about the last time I did a few years ago and couldn't recall a single book of them.  Obviously, I did not miss them.  I bet I won't miss these either. 

It was hard to start tossing them, but easy to continue once I realized I wasn't losing information, just accepting that there was a better way to get at it that didn't fill up physical bookcases.

OK, so books had their time.  I guess I just went screaming and kicking into the 21st century today.  One day centuries ago, a storyteller started reciting a memorized tale of some hero, and the King said "I have that book, and others.  You're fired".

Things change.  And I'm not done tossing books.  The recycle bin is mostly filled and very heavy.  So tomorrow I'll pile more in boxes and stack them in the garage for the next recycle pickup.  I'm keeping every sci book I own.  Those don't actually become obsolete. 

8 comments:

Megan said...

Yep - you're absolutely correct. I'm still borrowing a heap of fiction books from our local library because I prefer to read them in print not on a screen, but I don't have any desire to own books any more except the occasional craft book. They tend not to become out of date.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Just Ducky said...

I rarely buy books now, I use the library. Some of our local libraries have been putting on the bottom of the receipt when you check out how much it would have been if you had purchased the books you have read. They can keep a running total for that in the system. I figure I save myself 2-3 thousand dollars each year using the library.

AnnDee said...

@Just Ducky: What a great idea! I'll mention that (running tab) at the next Friends of the Library meeting.

Yeah, we should start doing that, too. However, there is some value in OLD books. DH has a 1910 auto manual. It assumes you know NOTHING about how autos work, and tell you how to build a carburetor (for example) from scratch. Got it at a library book sale.

I'm unclear on this from your blog: "I'm keeping every sci book I own. Those don't actually become obsolete." *Science* books don't become obsolete? I suppose not, if one considers old ones as preamble to later science. But I think some science books have information that has later proved to be incorrect as new information has come to light. Thinking of (my specialty) dinosaurs and how our view of them has evolved. Of early humans, particularly Neanderthals, and, again, how new data has come to light that has proven old "facts" are wrong. Space. I know "space junk" is supposed to be dangerous, but I haven't heard of any meteoroids putting holes in the Space Shuttle, Space Lab, Mir, or the International Space Station. (But I may just not have heard or paid attention).

I'm not so up on Physics and Chemistry, and the laws seem to be unchanged, although there are new applications. I seem to remember reading that, at one time, it was thought that going more than a mile a minute would kill you; going faster than sound would kill you. Faster than light will kill you. Or will it?

Or did I misunderstand your comments?

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Oopsie - Ann, I meant "sci-fi". The old "science" books are so worthless. The sci-fi is still good. I want flying cars and slidewalks...

AnnDee said...

I want teleportation and replicators. DH wants anti-gravity.

Ivan from WMD said...

I want a self-paying mortgage!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

The remodeling project forced me to get rid of some books. I have a tendency to become a hoarder like my parents, so it was very good for me to have a reason to toss things.

pilch92 said...

It is sad, but true about the information books. You can get any info you need online. At least you are recycling them.

Early Flowers

It's nice when some flowers nbloom or emerge at the same time... The early daffodils are blooming. Therre are still some crocuses. And t...