Sunday, March 24, 2019

A Hard Day

My enclosed garden structure is falling apart.

I didn't think that was possible  because the PVC  tubes were so closely bound by the chicken wire and nylon ties.

But 2 winters ago, enough large snowflakes fell on the top to bend the framework.  It was little enough so that I could ignore it intending to push them straight (there are metal pipes inside the PVC for strength), but I never got around to it.

And a 2nd pvc pipe broke and fell this past Winter. So I went out to fix it.

It was a horrible experience!  Nothing I tried, worked.  You can't be on both ends of a 10' pole at once, but I built it to begin with, so I did in a way.

This is the original framework.  PVC tubes with metal pipes inside for strength...
Not enough strength.  I covered it all with chicken wire. And some large snow collected on it.  I didn't expect THAT.  It bent everything!

One pole just fell.  I straightened it.  And spent 3 hours trying to put it back in place... It was utterly maddening.

I THINK I have the PVC pipe with metal pipe insert cemented into place but I went nuts doing it.  I finally had to cut the chicken wire loose to allow me to get at the PVC connections to push the cemented parts together.  And finally used seriously-stretched bungee cords to keep the 2 ends tight together.

I'll see how well the bonding worked tomorrow.  I'm wondering if I have the wrong kind of cement.  I'll find out tomorrow.  If the parts aren't fused, than I need a different kind that has a primer AND cement combined.

And here I thought I was going to plant spinach, carrots, and leeks today after a small repair job...






2 comments:

Megan said...

Rats!

Hope the fix works.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

pilch92 said...

That does sound frustrating. We have a similar setup to cover the blueberry bushes, but we only cover the top for a few weeks when they are ripe.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...