Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Facebook And AOL Email

 Facebook and AOL email are driving me crazy!

I set up an account on Facebook about a year ago just to read something from a friend.  I have no use for it otherwise.  Last month Facebook advised me that I wasn't using them enough and they were cancelling my account.  OK, no prob.

Except they told me they were "giving" me 180 days to re-establish it.  OK.  But they send me reminders ("notifications") about that several times a day.  I first started sending them to my spam folder.  But I actually don't get much spam, so they were the only daily ones.  I hate having to manually delete spam every day.

It has become beyond annoying.  I tried to email them to stop.  They won't.  They say "just log in and adjust your preferences".  I can't.  I don't have an active account there any more.  And they want a smartphone number to send a text code to, to re-establish my password.  

I have a smartphone.  I don't use it except for GPS (and I can't navigate around in it anyway), but I could read a text message to see a code.

But I can't log in to Facebook without them sending me a security text code first.  And my "phone of record" on my Facebook account is an old landline cordless type which doesn't show text (yes, those things still exist).  

So I can't actually contact them to explain the problem.  Which leads me to AOL...

Years ago, Verizon dropped their email service and transferred users to AOL which kept the existing Verizon email addresses).  So I thought to create an email filter to send all Facebook notifications direct to the trash folder.  I used to set up email filters at the office and on my personal Verizon email.  Easy stuff.

I can't make the AOL filters work.  Tried everything...  The "from" line.  The "subject" line.  The content keyword ("notifications").  Once each and several at the same time later.  It doesn't work!

And this is going to go on for 6 months?

I may have to change my email provider.  That would be painful.  Changing email addresses is almost worse than changing your street address!!!

I'm old and have been around a lot of internet places.  Friends and family have my email in their contact lists.  I have very "occasional" contacts from old friends and odd sites.  My email addresses are often my user name in many places (well, that might still work).

But between Facebook and AOL, I am going slightly crazy...

No comments:

May 4th

 May The Farce Be With You this day!