Monday, July 24, 2023

Yardwork

I have too many unwanted sapling trees and too many weeds.  And I have invasive periwinkle vines, wild blackberries, English Ivy, and Poison Ivy.  So I decided that yesterday would be a good day to use the hedge trimmer to go around cutting some of the smaller stuff with the hedge trimmer so that I could get at the saplings with the pruning blade of the Saws-All.  

I had the cordless hedge trimmer battery all charged up, so I expected an hour's worth of clearing small stuff.  So, of course, it immediately stopped working.  Dead.  Fini.  Kaput!

Tried the charger again, but it said the battery was charged.  So it was the trimmer itself that had failed.  Well, it is like 20 years old.  And the cutters are probably dulled.  So time to buy a new one!

Naturally, I went to Consumer Reports website.  I get the monthly print issue, but subscribe online too.  I found several top-rated models there and like 3 of them for the combination of power, battery time, and safety.  Well, one thing that sometimes annoys me about Consumer Reports is that you can never find the exact model they recommend anywhere.

Amazon never seems to offer them and they are usually not available at Home Depot or Lowe's.  I don't entirely blame Consumer Reports.  By the time they test something and get the results printed or websited, the manufactures have created a dozen new slightly different models.  

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but sometimes I suspect that any model that Consumer Reports gives a poor rating gets renumbered to confuse buyers...  *sigh*

So I spent 3 hours today (when I was hoping to work in the yard) trying to find the best 3 models of hedge trimmers, in stock, at any place I recognized as legitimate and would deliver in less than a week without ridiculous shipping chargers.  

An aside:  I once almost placed an order for a small product and barely noticed a $100 shipping charge, LOL!  

So after going back and forth between various sites selling various CR recommended models, I finally ordered one.  It will arrive in 4-6 days.  I'll be happy to receive it.  Maybe I can push in and cut down the unwanted saplings in the meantime.  

3 comments:

pilch92 said...

After my hubby cuts all that kind of stuff away, he drills holes into the stumps and pours roundup into them. I know roundup is bad to be near, but he claims it is only from broadcast spraying it, not pouring it. This way they never grow back.

pilch92 said...

My hubby cuts that stuff down then drills holes in it and pours roundup or another brand of weed killer in so it can't come back.

Megan said...

Oh well ... the yard work just wasn't meant to happen today. Pity though, when you're all fired up to get stuck into it!

Mean
Sydney, Australia

Last Daffodils and Good Deck Pots

The daffodils are fading.  This is from a week ago on their final days.  Fortunately,  my cherry tomato pot has these survivors from last ye...