Monday, September 5, 2022

An Outstanding Day

This all happened yesterday, but it seemed too late to post...  

It didn't start as an outstanding day.  I had a tree removal service scheduled to arrive 8:30-9am.  Their office called at 9am  to say they had to finish a big job from yesterday and would arrive 11am-Noon.  Well, they knew that yesterday, and they could have let me know.  I would have liked to have slept later.

And they didn't show up then, either.  But just as I was about to call (expecting a cancellation), I saw a car pull into the driveway.  OK.  I figured that was the boss arriving before the crew.  Except a lady got out carrying 2 large shopping bags.  That seemed odd.

She asked "tree service"?  I could smell food.  After a few questions, I figured out that she was delivering food for the tree service crew yet to arrive.  Well, it was lunchtime and it had been paid for.  We both laughed when we realized the confusion.  I put the bags inside the door and she left.  

The tree service boss and crew arrived 5 minutes later and were glad I had the food waiting.  The ate fast outside.  They weren't on my clock so I didn't mind so long as they were here to do the work.  Everything went better and better as the afternoon progressed.  

First, they tackled the 2 dead trees.  The small one was gone before I could even take a picture.  Chainsaw, 2 minutes, and no more tree.  A 3' chainsaw goes through a 4" dead tree like a hot knife through butter!  Then they attacked the big dead tree and a 6" one next to the fence.

The crew has a dedicated "climber".  He does all the limb-work.  It was a marvel to watch!  He limbs the tree from the bottom up, leaving 3" stumps to serve as ladder stairs.  Then he goes back down cutting about 12' of the top as he goes. 

There are many jobs I just would never try.  That is one of them!  Those guys are crazy.  This is not my first time having a tree removed, and most of them have been larger.  One previous guy hung by his knees over a branch (unroped) while waiting for the rest of the crew to remove the limbs on the ground.  

Here's a pic of the crew removing cut limbs.   

Eventually, the trunk was ready to be cut off and ground level.  Boss does the big chainsaw work, always.

That's when things went from good to great!  

The male neighbor pulled into his driveway, jumped out of his car, and approached me.  I was worried he suspected I was going to have the roots (in my yard) of the tree in his yard grinded out, and was upset about it.  I had a copy of the County regulations in my back pocket (quoting a State court decision that said my rights to remove offending tree roots (even from a neighbors tree) were essentially unrestricted.

We got off to an awkward start when they moved in a couple years ago.  The lady there nearly burned down  my fence trying to burn tree-debris (I saw the smoke and stopped her) and the guy was weed-whacking 10' inside my yard).  Not that I have asked, but it seems they are "separated but cooperative".  So I was prepared for a complaint.

Nothing of the sort!  He waved and I approached.  Turns out that he had been wanting to get rid of that tree between our houses for a while and wondered what a tree service company might charge.  I made a quick pitch to him about 1) the "unfortunate unsuitabilty" of a maple tree (planted by a previous resident) next to a house.  2) That I had already done cost comparisons.  3) They were doing a great and professional job.

So I waved the crew boss over to talk business.  It went perfectly!   They agreed on a price on the spot and since the crew was already there, they could do it RIGHT THEN (after my job was completed of course).

 But as I say, my job had to be completed first.  And there are pics...  But involve the neighbor's tree.  They completed the work in my yard wonderfully.  By the time they were done, they had cleaned my yard so carefully that you could hardly find woodchips.  The previous tree service also did outstanding work, so now I have 2 I wouldn't hesitate to call.

So, on to the last pics...

The crew removing the neighbor's tree...

And it took some work!  They had to rope every large limb to avoid hitting either house and some of my shrubbery.  They knew how to rope and cut every single limb of the multi-trunked maple so that it swung carefully to the ground touching nothing!

There were times when a limb started falling I cringed watching it swing around at the start.  But every single time, it landed in the rather small "safe" area.  Yes, I know they do that  every day, but I still was amazed they never got it wrong.  Even experts can miscalculate.

This picture shows the branch-grinder machine and half the truck the ground chippings go into.  If you look carefully, you can see the chips shooting out into the truck.  The machine actually pulls the limbs into the grinder and shooting into the truck through the curved chute.  It is amazing how much of a couple of large trees fit in there when chipped.

And here is where things get mixed a bit.  I took a pic of the overgrown junk wild shrubs a few weeks ago (as "before" pics).  

Removing them was part of the tree work.  The brown spot in the foreground (2nd pic above)is what is left of one now.  And in the picture of the untouched neighbor's tree (way above) you wouldn't have been able to see the garage door.  I am thrilled about that too.

And finally, the last of the neighbor's tree was cut down.  The original tree way a single-trunked tree and was cut down.  It returned with a vengeance, growing 5 trunks 30' tall in just 15-20 years!

Boss went at the remaining trunks with the wicked 3' chainsaw.  Took at least 20 minutes.  


And even then, they had this huge chunk of enjoined trunks to cut apart, but they finally ended up with this...  You can see the big roots extending from it.

Aside from just knowing how to cut down trees professionally, those guys are incredible strong.  The tree trunk pieces are too big for the grinder machine.  So they carry them to a separate trailer to be delivered to (I assume) "some god-awful huge grinder elsewhere".  There are things I do not know.  

The job is not actually done yet.  The stumps and roots still have to be grinded out.  I have underground cables here and I know where they are through previous experience.  But legally (and for insurance) you have to have "Miss Utility" come out and paint lines on the lawn over them.  

It is the contractor's responsibility, but they didn't realize utilities might be involved in the 2 stumps near the street.  I'm glad I asked them about that.   The tree service guys will return for the stumps and root grinding after the utility lines are painted.  The neighbor is (apparently) not sure if he wants to pay for having his own stumps ground down.

I'm not telling him or the tree service yet, but if the neighbor chooses not to pay for that stump grinding, I will offer to.  That tree was cut down once before (and came back) and I want to make sure it doesn't a 2nd time.  

And there is added benefit to getting the neighbor's tree cut down (as we both seem to have wanted to happen).  I've mentioned some early awkward events regarding them.  This tree-cutting was somewhat of a shared event and gives us a successful common experience.  That is something to build on.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, they did an incredible job. Glad you were able to get that neighbor's tree removed as well.

Megan said...

Isn't it wonderful when tradespeople do great work? Disappointing and annoying that they didn't arrive when expected but so pleasing that they got stuck in and delivered a top quality outcome for you and for your neighbour.
As for the phone call from the day before ... I wonder whether they continued to work after the office had closed down for the day - and it was the person in the office who had the contact details for you, so the workers themselves couldn't phone to let you know that they would be late. Just a thought. Disappointing level of customer service, nevertheless.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Found The Missing Camera

I found it in the washing machine.  Which doesn't make sense.  Knowing it was missing, and looking for it everywhere, I took all the clo...