Thursday, December 23, 2021

Improvements

You try all sorts of things when you have problems with the computer.

I upgraded the RAM.   I THINK that helped.  There are SOME warning messages I no longer get.  

But there were some suggestions of other problems.  So I deleted all caches and most cookies.  That helped, but some I will will have to re-enter.

I bought some new stuff to increase the directness of the ports my peripherals prefer.  That sounds strange but peripherals have options on connections and some are better than others.  I spent a day last week looking at the options.  

A lot of my stuff is old.  It is odd in a way to think of HDMI connections as "old".  Once, they were "best tech".  But things change and I don't always notice.  And problems sneak in gradually.  I have them.

So the RAM-upgrader tech guy explained "thunderbolt" connections, and Bluetooth.  Well, I thought "Bluetooth" was just for wandering around with a mobile laptop.  Was wrong.

He suggested a few cool add-on hardware things.  I checked them out pretty carefully and ordered a couple.  And, granted, this is all Mac stuff...

First was a multiport hub that fits under my Mac-Mini...


It adds many ports and uses only 1 USB plug..  And I needed them all.  And it made it easier to organize my cables.

He also suggested a Mac-dedicated keyboard.  I ordered that too.  It is Mac-dedicated.

New MacBook Air keyboard features dedicated keys for ...

It is good.  Macs have dedicated symbolic keys that keyboards that work for Mac and PCs don't have.  You have to figure them out on a combination keyboard and learn to interperate.  That's a pain.

So the Mac-dedicated keyboard is good, too.

My Christmas presents to myself...



1 comment:

Megan said...

Good stuff!

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...