Thursday, August 20, 2020

An Unusual Day

It started last night.  I had been struggling to adjust to the 1.25" towing attachment on the new Subaru.  The hitch pin from a local store was too short, I had to use force, had an traier ball for a 2" hitch,  finally bought some parts on Amazon.  Yadda, yadda, yadda. 

I discovered it was simpler than it seemed and I asked Amazon if I could return some.  They said "OK", offerred me a printable return label.  Good, thank you...  But I noticed returns were free at some "Kohl" department stores.  IF I returned it today! 

So there I was playing Civ 2 (downloadable/playable to a Mac only from some Russian site (OMG!) through some iffy "portal kit").  Well, I have "best" antivirus/firewall stuff and made sure it was "up-to-date".  I checked to make sure nothing funny was going on on the Mac.  And I will offload the app to a stand-alone later today.  That was 6 am.  So I decided to stay up at a discussion board until I could do early errands.

The Kohl's store opened at 10 am.  I had things to buy at Walmart which opened at 9 am, and grocery shopping to do.

Went to Walmart and found most of the things I wanted (kitty litter, cheap store brand stuff, and "on sale" brand name items.   Got back home and put it away.

Went straight to the nearest Kohl's store.  Never been there before (and wn't be returning (their prices are way too high).  But I was relieved to see a "Amazon Returns Accepted Here" sign on the door.  Wrong door of course.  I had to haul the box of heavy metal around to the side door downhill and over a rock bed... 

On the other hand, the return was a breeze.  It was so easy, I was almost suspicious.  But they gave me a printed confirmation and a 25% purchase coupon for "today only".  Even that left the prices too high.  Hey, I'm selectively cheap.  Some things are worth spending money on, some aren't.

So I had the cheap stuff bought at Walmart put away at home, and the Amazon return done.  And I realized I was going to pass my favorite grocery store (Safeway, great produce selection).  And (not coincidentally) I had my spreadsheet grocery list in my wallet (I'll show a link to that soon but it needs updating).

So I stopped and bought groceries.  Told the produce manager their egg roll wrappers were junk.  Well, their old brand was great.  A dusting of cornstarch between each wrapper and and rolled up nicely (I like to make shrimp eggrolls sometimes) and the new brand (Wing Hing or something like that) was all crumbly and impossible to roll.

He promised to look into it (yeah, right).  I often have to help the produce guys.  Seriously, they can barely tell one apple from another.  I'm not in the "oh damn, here he comes again" reaction yet, but they do notice when I point out the labels are wrong and they are selling "Red Delicious" as "Staymans".  And I try not to bother them often. 


I smile to myself when the sales clerks ask if a head lettuce is "cabbage" or beets are "radishes.  I shouldn't because it means that they aren't familiar with fresh veggies in their own lives.  OK, come to think about it, let's say I'm more sad than smiley... 


Pushing my cart to the car, I noticed a woman poking around at the hood-up engine and mostly looking at the battery.  I put my bags in the car.


An older guy does not approach a strange woman carelessly.  There is no telling what the reaction might be.  But I went back and asked if she needed a batterry jump.  She did.  I could tell she was hesitant about a stranger asking for help.



I just recently bought a new car.  And it was partly because the battery in the 2005 Toyota wouldn't recharge well.  The dealership couldn't find the problem.  They said the batterry seemed fine and the charging system checked out OK. 

So I bought a "batterry-minder" to keep it charged in the garage, but I never was sure it would start again during errands.  So I bought a portable power-pack for emergencies.  *I* never actually needed it, but it came in handy today.    It is "the mother of all rechargeable batterries". 



In spite of having a new car, I kept it in the car.  There's room for it, and "you never know".  So I carried it to the woman's car (and noticed a scared little girl inside).  The woman was probaly afraid I would ask for money.  Nah, I'm the Boy Scout type.  Hooked up the clamps, told her to start the car, everything worked.  I told her to make sure to drive the car at least 20 minutes to recharge the battery (and maybe have it checked by a professional).  Batteries do fail.  And I wished her a good day and left.




I've gotten help from strangers before.  My first personally-purchased car once died in the dead of night in a bitterly freezing 1980 Winter on a major highway.  It was SO COLD, my roommate and I were exchanging the one good coat every 5 minutes to stay SLIGHTLY warm.  The ONE person who stopped to ask if I needed help was a Reagan conventioneer.  He asked who I supported and I said "Carter".  He smiled and not only called AAA to tow my car to a repair shop, but drove us home (way out of his way).  Good people do good things. 

Remembering that, I try to pass it on.  I could have just driven home from the Safeway store.  But how hard is it to help another?  We are all of us in this world together fighting off the cold and sadness.



So today, I was my 16 year old Boy Scout again, and did my good deed for the day.  And I thank the opportunity more than the deed...  The deed was fine, the opportunity was priceless. 

4 comments:

Megan said...

Absolutely - I agree and I think it was fabulous of you to help a stranger.

Recently the car in front of me stopped at red traffic lights had problems moving forward once the lights turned green. Yep, in peak hour at an intersection of two major roads. The woman driving got her car through the right-hand turn but then stopped. I hesitated, but ended up pulling to a stop in front of her, and walking back to see if she was okay. She was a bit shaken up - she was driving a fairly new expensive car and she said that it had just switched itself off and only re-started on her third attempt. She'd got a bit of a fright and was nervous about driving - but ... she was now blocking one lane of a six-lane road in Friday afternoon peak hour. There was nothing I could do to diagnose the problem but I told her that I could totally understand how she was feeling. We only talked for half a minute or so, but I think the fact that someone stopped to check that she was okay did help. We agreed that it was probably best for her to continue driving - albeit below the speed limit and carefully, with her hazard lights on - so that she could get herself and the car somewhere safer and then call her boyfriend for advice/help.

Doing this cost me absolutely nothing. I had hesitated - mainly because I knew that I wouldn't be able to help with the problem with her car - but I was pleased afterwards that I'd done it because I would have liked someone to do it if my car had failed in the same circumstance. Just knowing that there were kind strangers around who wanted to help - that's a nice feeling.

I imagine that you made a huge difference to that woman today. Well done you.

PS. Interesting about the Amazon returns. I'm almost positive that we don't have that system set up here as yet, but it could be useful.

PPS. I've been in a Kohl's store in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I went with a local who was helping me buy a replacement suitcase. She had discount dockets from the newspaper + discounts from her Kohl's loyalty card and the suitcase I chose was on a special that day, so I ended up paying about 50% of the original price for it, which made it a pretty good buy. But buying at the full retail price? Nup. It was expensive.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Just Ducky said...

You are a good purrson TBT.

amdla2000 said...

I am sure she was grateful. Preventative ;maintenance was a concept my Dad never embraced and my mother was in similar positions often. Bless the kindness of strangers.

pilch92 said...

I find Kohls too expensive too- even their sale prices.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...