Friday, July 10, 2020

Goodbye Old Car

I have had mostly good luck with cars, new and used.  I even got good service from a used Chevy Vega hatchback and a new stripped-to-the-bones Chevy Chevette Scooter (How stripped was it, you ask?  Tires were nearly an "option").  No used car lasted less than 4 years, and my last 4 new cars lasted 40 years.  The new cars following the Chevette Scooter were a Ford Taurus SW and then a loaded Eagle Vision (nearest thing to a sporty luxury car I ever bought).  The last, a beloved Toyota Highlander lasted 15 years.

But last year, the dealership advised me that the timing belt and other pulley belts needed to be replaced just due to age, the charging system was unrepairable and needed a full replacement, the tires were suffering age fatigue, and a lot of tune up and such.  Probably $5,000 total work.  And the dents and dings and paint scrapes made it nearly multi-colored. 

But it only had 30,000 miles on it, so I considered a full do-over.  But then the Covid-19 pandemic hit and according to Consumer Reports (CR) magazine, TV news reports and radio car expert spots, car dealerships became desperate to sell anything to anyone at nearly any price.  I decided it was a good time to replace it.

I like SUVs for the driver-view height, and I do have to tow a utility trailer for mulch, garden soil, and lumber sometimes.  And I've mentioned the negotiations for the new Subaru Forester previously.  I would have bought a Mazda CX-5 if there had been a dealership near me, but the 2 are about the same in the ways that matter to me.

I'm mentioning this because I donated the Eagle Vision to a charity named "Vehicles For Change".  As I understand such things, most charity sites immediately sell a donated vehicle to a mass-auction site for just a few $100s.  Not much benefit to them for that.  Vehicles For Change (VFC) has a program where the donated vehicle is repaired as training for ex-cons and others needing jobs and THEN the repaired vehicle is given to peole who need a car to get to a job, to transport kids to day-care, or just to be able to shop for groceries out of the urban desert.

I'm not pushing VFC and I get nothing from them, but they seem "different".  And it is sure easier than selling a car yourself.

And one thing I have learned from previous trade-ins for new cars is, that by the time the salesman plays with the costs enough, you actually don't get anything for a trade-in.  So, my previous car went to Vehicles For Change. 

Yesterday, the old Toyota Highlander took the same route.  I was assured by several VFC emails that it would be repaired as training for mechanics and body-repair trainees, and sent through State Inspection before being donated to a needing family.  And I get to write off the full fair market value from my taxes.  That's not why I do it, but it helps.

The Highlander only has 30,000 miles on it.  I hate driving and carpooled regularly.  They even emailed me about "is 30,000 miles accurate"?  I told them I had repair tickets showing the gradual mileage to prove it.  They were thrilled.  In the car biz, that's called a "cream puff".

So it was picked up yesterday.  The associated towing company called 30 minutes before and arrived right on time.  The towing guy was experienced and checked my VIN and my title transfer and gave me a detailed transfer of ownership. 

So going...
Going...
And gone.
I hope some mechanic and body work trainees get good experience from renovating it and that a deserving family gets a benefit that makes life easier.  Sometimes good things come from the top down (like tax breaks and social benefits for those who need it) and sometimes from the bottom up (like a donated working vehicle).

May my old loved car be of benefit to many...

3 comments:

Just Ducky said...

That is a good way to pay it forward. I donated my old small snow blower this past winter. The guy came to tune up my new blower and took the smaller one. He fixes it up and gives it to people who need one but can't afford one.

pilch92 said...

That was kind of you to do.

Megan said...

Fabulous gesture - well done!

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Refrigerator Troubles

You may recall I was planning to have a new refrigerator delivered tomorrow.   The deal was that I would have the new one in the kitchen, th...