Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Computer Problems 3

I'm not winning...  I got the NEW computer to load my Photo Library from the OLD one and thought my problems with photos was solved.  Well, sort of.  I loaded the files, but most were duplicated 2-6 times.  So I found  free program that was described as safe and effective on several Mac sites.  One thing ot does is remove duplicate files and you can specify which folders to search.

So I did that.  You click on "scan".  After it scans all the files in the folder, it compares them all to find the duplicates.  Then you click "remove" and hope...

It found about the right size of files (90GB).  It set about comparing the files. After several hours, it offerred "remove".  I clicked. After another several hours, It removed about 25% of them.  Argh!

I'm trying it again, because I still had the New one connected to the OLD one with a usb cable, and maybe that messed it up.

This is almost becoming a game.  Sort of like Tron or one of those old "quest" games where you form a team of characters and search a castle solving problems to get at the treasure at the end.  Well, better to view it that way than go running down the street screaming in frustration.  Though I have often screamed "WHAT NOW?" after some failures, I maintain a determined (and rather surprisingly) good outlook.

My entire Govt career was FIGURING OUT THINGS and SOLVING PROBLEMS, and to be honest, I kind of miss that.  So the game now is "Cavebear vs The Evil Computer".

The NEW computer doesn't have much on it yet (and the OLD one is actually working), so if it chugs away day and night I'm not really losing any functionality.

  ---------------------

But there is more to life than computers (no REALLY, it's true).  So in that spirit, here is my real life To Do list for the next few days:

1.  Feed the emerging spring bulbs with slow-release fertilizer to improve flower growth next month and bulb  regrowth afterwards.

2.  Lay down that packing paper shippers use as cushioning between the garden beds.  I save it.  I must have 100s of yards of it neatly smoothed and folded.  Then I'll cover it with large wood chip mulch.  That should kill the weeds.

3.  Three years ago, we had heavy snow.  There were enough fallen leaves on the top of my chicken wire garden enclosure for the snow to accumulate.  The weight bent the PVC-covered steel pipes I used.

It took a week to pull each one out of the sockets, straighten then, and replace them.  So I bought more steel poles to support all the centers of the existing pipes.  I need to set them up.

4.  I planted a lot of pansies last Fall, but I had some left over and put them in planter pots.  Ivident;y that doesn't protect them from the freezing weather enough (they and small and withery).  So I might as well bury the pots in the garden soil for insulation.


5.  I have briars growing in the front yard landscape bed.  Bad look.  So I better dig them out before they spread .  It rained a lot a few days ago, so the soil is workable.

Cheers...


2 comments:

Megan said...

Wow - this IS turning into a 16-episode series, isn't it? I admire you for sticking with it.

'Twill be good to get yourself out in the garden and distract yourself for a while.

Here in the Land Down Under, we've gone from raging bushfires to ... believe it or not, torrential rains and floods!!! Our house has survived unscathed so far, but we know a lot of people who've experienced problems and something like 100,000 homes in Sydney lost electricity for three or four days.

When the rain actually stops, the humidity - at 99%! - is horrible. Geez I'm looking forward to autumn.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

pilch92 said...

I think I would have felt like banging my head on a wall. Good thing you are patient.
Sounds like you have a lot on your to-do list- good luck.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...