Friday, February 7, 2020

Computer Problems 1

I'm going to just list the Title by numbers until this misery is over.  And not try to list too much at once.  This is all getting too bizarre.

The Mac Migration Assistant app says it will migrate all the OLD files, apps, photos, mail and user settings to the NEW computer.  It didn't.  I tried that twice.  It did make me create several new user accounts.  So I did some net searching and found a forum thread that said you have  make sure to have only one admin account.  OK, I checked and I had 3 on the NEWEST.  I learned how to delete 2.

So Migration Assistant should have worked then.  No.  Just the Mac OS and the apps (I think).  It's hard to tell; the NEWEST has apps.

So I decided to try to manually transfer my photos.  Those are the most important files.  I found they were actually in 3 places.  On an old windows computer, on an "unnamed album", and in the primary iPhotos library.  I imported the files from the old windows computer using a flash drive.  So I started importing the "unnamed album" to the primary iPhoto library on the OLD Mac mini.

So far, it has been "preparing to import" for 12 hours.  I know it is doing SOMETHING because my Activity Monitor app says it has read 215GB and written 190GB so far.  So I dare not stop it.  It MIGHT just be a horribly slow process.  I mean, I have about 7,000+ photos in the "unnamed album" original size (1-5MB each).   

It may just fail entirely.  I'm going to bed soon, so I'll let it run overnight and see what happens. 

Meanwhile, I'm getting quite an education about how Macs operate.  In fact, while searching for answers on a Mac Help Forum, I was actually able to answer someone else's question about where the iPhoto files are stored! 

Oddly, the NEWEST Mac is functional.  It just has no OLD files on it, working as a brand new computer.  So I can use Firefox to open my blog accounts and dashboard and any site I can find or recall the URL of. 

*SIGH*


1 comment:

Megan said...

Well ... ah, um ... I'm trying very very hard to see a silver lining here somewhere. How about: you're learning new things and keeping your brain active tackling new challenges?

Sorry - that's about the best I can come up with.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...