Sunday, June 30, 2019

Computer Security Surprise

I downloaded a new version of a Software Security I like. and the first thing that came up was "Privacy".  It sat there for an hour reading  "52kb, 62 Kb, etc" and I thought OMG this could take weeks.  So I called the tech desk.  Got right through to them BTW. 

It took the person a couple minutes to understand that I was seeing that as a search of my entire hard drive and wondering why it was so slow.  She finally caught on and explained that it was a real-time processing rate, not a whole hard drive search. 

And it took me whole minutes to get OFF the phone while she tried to explain how that worked.  The INSTANT she said it was a processing rate not a search, I understood exactly what it was doing.  But she wouldn't let me go, LOL!

Now I just have to go through the rest of the security program, which DOES search the hard drive as i expected (and doesn't show a progress bar - which would be nice).  Apparently, you are supposed to just turn it on every so often and GO TO BED.  I'm not good at not watching security programs as they operate.  The good part is that the program doesn't care if you stay on the computer while it goes along it's merry business.  But that it exactly what I want to watch it do.


2 comments:

Megan said...

C'mon Mark - you're not allowed to tell fairy tales on this blog. Fancy trying to get us to believe that you rang an IT company's help desk and got through straight away. Nup - doesn't happen. Not now, not ever. LOL

Megan
Sydney, Australia

pilch92 said...

This all sounds Greek to me.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...