Sunday, February 11, 2024

Falling Apart

I don't know what to do.  The Mews are becoming too much for me to deal with.

It all started to go bad when Iza died of some sort of internal hemorrhaging in April 2020.  She was only 12.  I decided to find another Tonkinese female.  I went to the breeder who brought me Iza, but she didn't know a source of Tonkinese (Iza was originally thought to be a "smudged" Siamese).

But she had a troubled half-Siamese male who needed a peaceful home.  And she thought I was the right person to help (re-socialize) him.  I accepted him.

And that is where my long-standing happy cat-household went wrong.  I loved Laz personally and he loved me in return.  But adopting him ruined everything since then.  

Laz attacked Ayla (my Princess) for months and made her miserable.  She hid from him and restricted her life in the house.  She spent most of her days on a high windowsill just for safety.  She shouldn't have had to live her last year like that.

I finally found a Tonkinese female kitten from a championship breeder (didn't know about that at the time).  Laz and Lori became BFFs.  Until one day, Laz's bad memories returned and he started attacking her too.

Ayla succumbed to old age last Fall.  Stopped eating and all that.  Laz was going violently insane by that time.  I could only just finally release him weeks later from the terrors of his kittenhood, as he was attacking Lori daily and viciously.  The vet agreed.  Laz went to The Bridge.

Which left Marley and Lori.  Marley is a trooper and stayed calm.  Lori seemed lonely.  So I thought to find her a companion of her own age.  

I have avoided Shelters.  The contracts seemed a bit threatening about "right to visit and take a cat back:,  But I went to the Shelter because I saw a nice orange kitty on their website.  

She hated me.  But 2 others were very friendly.  I decided to adopt both.  The male (Loki) came with a head infection and spasmodic abdominal coughs (which he got over with meds).  The female (Binq) was clawy on my pants and claw-grabbed at my hands constantly.   She is getting better about that now.

But Lori hated them both (and still does).  Lori developed a diarrhea problem almost immediately.  I assume it is stress.  She dribbles syrupy poo everywhere she walks a couple times a day.  It has been this way for 2 and a half months.

It doesn't seem to be any physical issue.  On the Vet's advice, we have tried everything in that concern.  Lori just won't accept the 2 new ones.  The vet and I are convinced Lori's diarrhea problem is actually psychological.

We can't seem to solve that.  The vet suggested I lock Loki and Binq in a room for 2 weeks to give Lori control of the house.  I can't do that.  They are too active, they want my attention constantly.  I tried it one night and they banged the door, cried loudly, rattled the door, and scratched at it constantly to get out.  I couldn't sleep at all.

Lori is getting an orally-administered paste 2x a day and a pill (for biotics).  She also gets a half pill for "calming".  But nothing seems to help.  A few nights ago, she crawled under my blanket and driibbled as she went in.  She soled the sheert, the pillow, and my elbow.  She peess on the blanket too.

Last night, she dribbled while walking.  And on the blanket.


So I have to do something.  And all bad choices...

1.  Rehome Lori  (and that would break my heart).  I worked too hard to get her and I love her so much.

2.  Return Loki and Binq to the Shelter.  But they are so happy here and love me.  I've had many loving cats here who were "attentive' but Loki is nearly "adhesive".  He can't stand to be away from me.  Binq is getting rather "lovey" towards me.

3. Put up with the current cat-fuss.  And hope Lori calms down?

What do I do now?

This can't go on...

4 comments:

pilch92 said...

Could you try to put Lori in a separate area for a couple weeks instead to see how she does? I know you would still give her lots of attention.

Marcia said...

Sorry to hear this. I have no suggestions to offer, only sympathy and best wishes.

Megan said...

Mark - I feel for the distress and dismay you're feeling. I don't have any advice I'm afraid. I hope things come right for Lori soon.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Susie said...

I think I pictured dribbly diarrhea just fine without the photo Mark.
I had a scratcher, Star, all in the name of fun he thought, that never stopped. Star became Scar. I looked like a cutter on my arms.
He seemed to get better but no. The personalities you see are pretty much what you get in my experience. You may have different experiences.
As you say Cats are a lot of work and as we get older, just like chores, we should probably reduce them. What brings us joy will not exponentially bring us to pure happiness.
I’m sorry you are having at problems. You’ve always been a wonderful cat Dad!
Susie

Last Daffodils and Good Deck Pots

The daffodils are fading.  This is from a week ago on their final days.  Fortunately,  my cherry tomato pot has these survivors from last ye...