Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Primary Election Day

Today is Primary Election Day in Maryland.  I had a sample ballot.  The top decisions were easy, but who knows anything about School Board or County Commissioners?  I couldn't name a one.

I'm analytical.  I want information.  The League Of Women Voters used to send out letters where all the candidates could describe themselves in a few paragraphs but apparently that was stopped by one of those Supreme Court decisions saying "information was sort of unfair".

I found their website last week, though.  They can still ask candidates to talk about their qualifications.  I went through every candidate down to the least of offices and marked my choices on my sample ballot.  

I did my homework.  Some candidates immediately disqualified themselves (in my personal view).  Too weird, too unqualified, too fanatical.  Sometimes, it is good to just get the crazies off your list and hope for the best among the rest.

At least I go to the voting booth knowing not only "who" but "why" I am voting for particular people.  I wish more people did.  And in a Primary Election...

https://wpcdn.us-east-1.vip.tn-cloud.net/www.thepitchkc.com/content/uploads/2019/07/1352219127_i_voted_sticker-1024x530.png


4 comments:

Just Ducky said...

I also check to see if they are paid up on property taxes. I don't want to elect someone who doesn't pay their taxes, but has a huge say on how my taxes are spent.

AnnDee said...

That's admirable.

Megan said...

Very good. I don't understand what a Primary Election actually is or why the general public would be voting for members of a school board but ... it was good of you to put the effort in.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

pilch92 said...

I just went to a boo sale put on by The League of Women voters.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...