Sunday, May 3, 2020

Riding Lawn Mower, Part 2

Well, I was discussing the new riding lawn mower.  Now for more...

As I pulled up in front of the house, the cross street neighbor waved hello and asked how things were going.  I patted the mower, so he came over to take a look.  I keep forgetting his name.  So I tried to back it off the trailer ramp.  Couldn't figure out how to start it!

OK, this is kinna "guy stuff" but maybe educational to you ladies (but you know you want to know).  Here is a great "guy" day.  Laugh all you want...  Works for us.

The neighbor was admiring the new mower.  And I don't know how to start it.  Nor does he!  And he had a John Deere mower previously.  Everything is different!

So I and the neighbor were examining the push-buttons and control icons and labels "Hey this one says "cruise control" and moves up and down.  And the neighbor "This pedal of the other side looks like a brake".  Meanwhile, we can't find a key or keyhole, so we assume there is a button.

As we were examining the new (and rather odd icons on some buttons) a guy jogger stopped.  Guys have "new equipment" radar, you know.  So we were looking at the different controls, and a guy in a van saw us and stopped too.  I know the guy across the street mainly by waving while we do yardwork. I've never met these other two.  It is routine for guys who don't know each other  to gather around new equipment.  And part, not ever meeting again.

So there are 4 of us figuring out how the new mower (sitting in the hauling trailer) worked.  Keep in in mind that I could have asked the salesman how everything worked except for 2 things.  First, I expected it would be obvious.  I'm not used to buttons and levers labeled with icons (some of which are rather bizarre).  What on earth would a little box with a spray mean?  And arrows that go in and out mean up and down?  OK, whatever...

And keep in mind that the manual was in my car 10" away.  But what's the fun in reading that?  There are some usual routines with riding lawn mowers.  To start the engine, you need a key, the brake pedal has to be depressed, the parking brake has to be off (or on), etc.

We finally found the keyhole.  It was covered by a label.  Yet, there was no key though the salesman had driven it onto the trailer and taken nothing away!?  We decided there must be a master key.  I said, aha, and grabbed the envelope with the manual,  No fair looking at it yet, but there was a lump of 2 keys.

I took a key and inserted it, turned it, and NOTHING!  OK, it had to be a combination of pedals.  Probably depressing the brake and then turning the key.  NOTHING.  Baffled...

Then the van guy said "Hey, look, there are instruction on the floor of the deck"!  Ladies, if you ever wondered why we don't notice a lipstick color change or even hairstyle, it is because we see the "whole you" and details be darned.

We all immediately focused on the floor instructions.  Why that is different from reading the manual in the first place sort of escapes me, but it mattered that we as a group found it.

It wasn't a written list.  Rather, it was just arrows pointing to levers and buttons with actual words (no weird icons).  It was simple from there.  I set the speed control to beyond "fastest" (guessing it was the "choke", depressed the brake pedal and then pushed the yellow button with the fountain icon and turned the key.

Started right up!  So obvious...  The guys helped me guide the mower off the trailer and down the 6' long 8" wide ramps onto the ground.  I drove it into the shed.

I came right back out of course, because the guys knew I had to secure the ramps into the trailer, and I owed them some thanks and "guy talk".

So we discussed hunting and fishing and one guy said he had seen turkeys, and there are deer everywhere here.  And we each took a turn bragging about some hunting and fishing.  We all one had some experiences at something, so that made it a great day.

And things turned to our times here.  Why one 200' street is called "Uncle Willies Way", another is called "Garner's Road and why the upper area was a field before garden apartments were built there.  Apparently, the area was once a farmland owned by "Willie Garner".  The good news is that there wasn't a beer in sight.  We were just collected randomly figuring out the controls on my new riding lawn mower...

When I pushed the ramps into my trailer, everyone decided that it was time to get along with what they had been doing before.  I bet I never talk to jogger and van guy again,  But it sure was nice of them to help.  And I have sometimes been "van guy" (in an SUV) stopping to help someone randomly.

What a great day Friday was!

4 comments:

Megan said...

That sounds like a fun event, Mark. I do hope you were all mindful of social distancing and standing the required 1.5 metres away from each other - although if you were all looking at the controls and scratching about with various things, it sounds unlikely! And yes, it does strike this woman as absolutely bizarre that the four of you would stand there trying to work it out rather than reach for the manual. I bet 'how to start' was on page 3 in big letters with diagrams! Too easy perhaps?

Looking forward to seeing some before and after pics of the lawn.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Just Ducky said...

LOL. Like renting a car and they don't show you how to start the newer push button ones or how to adjust the seats!

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

That was a fun social event! Here we would be getting frowns if we gathered about like that...sheesh. Lockdowns are SO annoying:(

Wish we had a riding mower...it took my almost 4.5 hours to mow our yard on the 6th...we have an acre...and our mower is a walk behind, but at least it is self propelled. Hubby & I take turns doing this chore...he has an artificial hip, so he needs to be careful about that. Only I do the back third which is a 3 hour job all by itself due to the many trees and shrubs back there, and the ground can be quite uneven. We mow there to keep the multitude of weeds at bay.
At least it was not hot and the sun was out...a bonus, for all the vitamin D I got, LOL!

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

Hubby has that problem with his big three stage snow thrower. Has to get the manual out each time...cause we need to use it that often...not! LOL!

Wish we had a riding mower...but we do have our heavy Honda self propelled mower...it takes forever to mow the visible parts of our one acre, and another 2.5 to 3 hours to mow the back which is all shrubs and trees and uneven ground. (We mow there to keep the nasty weeds at bay...so they don't spread or make stick-ons so much...the dogs like to roam in there...) Only I do that part, cause hubby has an artificial hip, so he has to be careful about that, but we do share the other parts...mostly I do it on cooler days, and he does it on hot days...cause he seems to tolerate the heat better than I do. At least its good exercise!
(We would get a JD if we were to get a ride on, Hubby reads the CR, too...)
Enjoy your new mower!

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...