Friday, September 13, 2019

Locked CD Rom Drive

For What It Is Worth - 

I had a CD locked in the D drive and it suddenly just rattled.  I couldn't get it to play and I couldn't get the tray to open.  I was going NUTS.  Then, searching for an answer, I found a 15 year old post that said to stick a straightened paperclip into the small hole in the front.

I remembered about that soon as I read it, but I had forgotten!  Look for yourself on a Windows PC...

I didn't solve the "failure to play", but at least it got the CD out, LOL!

But when I got the CD out and tried it in the 2 tray it played fine.  I have to laugh that I'm keeping a Windows 95 (offline) working.  But I suspect I'll have to find a repair shop soon.


3 comments:

David said...

It is really easy to replace a CD drive. They only have 2 connectors. $10-15 on ebay.

Michael said...

CDs are on the way out Mark so perhaps it's time to save files on a USB on in the cloud.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

David - I didn't realize it was that easy. I may try it.

Megan - I try to keep "my stuff" out of the the control of the larger info-stealers. I may not be successful, but I try.

I remember reading that CDs would be good for a thousand years. I din't believe that then, but did think they they would would be good for lifetime. I have CDs that are only 10 years old and are apparently unreadable now due to speedier drives.

Silly me...

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...