Friday, April 23, 2021

Darn Ouchies!

I get so tired of muscle cramps sometimes.  During the day, I can get finger-clenches  and rib muscle cramps.  At night I can get thigh or calf cramps.   It used to be seem there were causes.  If I did too much gripping of shovels while gardening, I got finger-clenches a few hours later.  If I lifted too much, I got rib muscle cramps.  If I just did too much walking, I got leg cramps in bed.

Now it doesn't even seem connected to physical activity.  I got finger-clenches a few days ago after just mowing the lawn and I don't exactly keep it in a death-grip.  Tonight I got them and I didn't do ANYTHING active.  Sometimes just holding a knife while preparing dinner causes it.

I try to stay hydrated.  I take a supplemental potassium tablet.  I have a good diet (not a "diet" diet, just good fresh foods with some meat and several colorful veggies).  A low dosage Ibuprophen helps.  Ointment rubs with aspirin or lidocaine help the finger clenches and rib muscle cramps.  

I saw that basketball players use a sort of rolling pin for leg cramps. so I bought one.  It's hard to use by yourself.  Walking around for 10 minutes usually works.

Mom had the finger-clenching thing and that was the first sign of Parkinson's.  I hope it isn't that.  Dad had lumbar muscle cramps in his 60s but that went away.  Neither are around to ask questions of.  I wish I had asked more questions of them, but who thinks about aging at 50?

I am beginning to wonder if the finger-clenches are from typing.  I'm a bad typist and a fussy writer.  I almost redo half my typing most days.  I took typing in high school, but never mastered touch-typing.  Well, my fingers and brain don't communicate all that well.  I can't play a musical instrument for the same reason. 

But that is just my latest thought about the causes.  I have no really good reason for the cause.  My Dr says these things can happen for many reasons and there isn't much that can be done about it.

I suspect the real cause is DDT exposure.  When I was a kid in the 50s, the town I lived in sent mosquito-fogger trucks around several days a week at twilight.  It was a DDT fog and supposedly harmless to people.  But we kids loved riding our bikes in and out of the fog.  

I developed hand-tremors after that and they remain to this day.  I got bad enough soon after that and I never could build a decent model kit (glue got everywhere).  These days, I have to be really careful handling a mug of tea or bowl of soup.  

It's OK; I'm just complaining out load.  Attaching notes to tumbleweeds, as some people say...  

Mom used to tell me that getting old isn't for sissies.   Dad was actually fortunate in a way.  He went into dementia before his physical health failed, so he really didn't understand what was going wrong.  

Yeah, I'm only 70, but I see what is coming.  It probably won't get better.  I see the downhill slope more lately.    I don't mean to worry anyone; I'm still mentally and physically active and enjoy my life.  But life passes in only one direction.  I'll never be 30 again.  Heck, I'd love to be 50.  Tell that to a 20 year old, LOL!

And I expect to be "compos mentis" til around 85-90.  That will have been a good run and better than average.  Lots of great experiences, lots of good meals, and lots of special cats.  And as Frank Sinatra sang once, love was good to me a few times.

I probably shouldn't even really post this, but my finger is over the button and...

3 comments:

Megan said...

Does Dr Google offer any explanation and/or solutions for the cramps? I know that it's scary asking Dr Google 'cos you end up believing that you're dying of something dreadful. On the other hand, if there's something simple that you can try to fix it - and it works - then that would be wonderful.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

That sounds a lot like the same thing happening to my hands...or individual fingers. If I cut/chop a lot, with a knife,. or use scissors too much, or pull up too many dandelions...and voila, the hand won't open up, or the ring finger decides to stay closed. The tendon sheaths are inflamed and that hinders the free traveling of the tendon(s) through the sheath. I mowed the lawn yesterday, ( 4 hours of work), and hubby had to make dinner, cause I had hands that were uncooperative...sigh...my wrist is giving me a lot of grief lately too...hope I don't have to give up my job, let alone blogging.

If you get other cramps, you might try a powdered magnesium glycinate; about one teaspoon in water, after hard activity. It helps me a lot when I get home from work all exhausted or like yesterday when I mowed the lawn.
Powdered creatine helps too for the same issues. Athletes use it a lot.

pilch92 said...

I was going to ask if you drank enough water, but I see that you do. I'm 51 and wish I was 30. :)

May 4th

 May The Farce Be With You this day!