Thursday, October 17, 2019

A Political Thought

People have different political opinions.  I accept that.  I don't always agree with the majority but I try to understand varying points of view.  And political thought has been more divisive lately. 

I spend a part of my day watching political commentary, reading politics in the Washington Post newspaper, and thinking about news.

I majored in Government and Politics at the University of Maryland.  I am not active in politics, but I think about politics a lot.

Last night, as I lay in bed hoping for the sweet release of sleep, I found myself considering President Donald Trump.  I dislike him.  But that's not the important thing that came to mind.

As I laid in bed, an odd thought occurred to me.  What if some person managed to become President with the specific intent of ruining US American democracy internally and also set out to ruin our international trade/political alliances/reputation for helping others.

Well, that would be pretty horrible wouldn't it?  And then it occurred to me that such a person would be doing exactly what President Trump as been doing. 

Seriously, what would a person deliberately trying to ruin the US reputation overseas and domestically do that President Trump hasn't already done and is continuing to do?

I'm not going to list all sorts of things he has done.  There are sites that list them and are easily findable with a simple web search.  My concern is that I actually can't tell the difference between what President Trump has done and is doing and someone deliberately trying to ruin the US.

Am I the only person who has had this very uncomfortable thought?


6 comments:

Lizzie said...

You are not. It may be his intention but Putin is clearly then enabler.
Lizzie

AnnDee said...

I've thought so for quite a while. It's worse than I anticipated. I wonder what quie pro quo he's going to get.

AnnDee said...

P.S/ Congrats on the Nats and good luck to your team. Since I have no dog in this fight, I'll root for the Nats.

Megan said...

Hmmmm - I can think of some outrageous things that he hasn't done as yet that would have done even more damage. Perhaps you can take comfort from the fact that he is surrounded by a team of other people and he's not just one made chap doing whatever he feels like - even though it may look that way on occasions.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

pilch92 said...

I don't understand politics enough to even guess what he is doing.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

You are not, rather by accident or design Trump is placing our democracy in jeopardy. I just hope we can vote him out of office. At this point I think anyone would be better.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...