Monday, July 9, 2018

Pond Renovation, Part 1

Well, I have this 5'x3' pre-formed hard pond shape in the flower pond.  It has a shallow shelf around the edge and a deep spot in the center so it cant freeze.  I put in pots of Sweet Flag and waterlilies years ago.  It takes some maintenance.  And I'm not great at maintenance.

Every couple of years I just sort of forget about it and it gets a bit out of control.

Well, apparently, I set a record for ignoring it.  I mean, the plants grow, it rained enough to keep it filled naturally, and everything seemed OK.

Until I noticed that even after heavy rains, it wasn't staying filled.  So I refilled it with the garden hose.  The next day it looked dry again.  Oh damn, a leak!

So a few days ago, I decided to pull the individual potted plants out to find the leak.

Guess what?  I couldn't remove the individual potted plants.  They were intertwined.  In fact, as I discovered, the entire interior of the pond was nothing BUT roots,  and most of the plants were growing outside of the original pots!

I couldn't lift the mass of plants out the the pond.  But I have something called a "Digger Knife".  It is basically a dagger with a saw blade.  I started cutting pots out of the root mass. 

In 2 hours of hard work, I had 1/3 of the root mass removed and stopped for the day.  My work rule is 30 minutes max and 15 minutes relaxing.  I don't want to die stupidly.  I go inside to cool down and drink Gatorade.







I also wanted to save as many of the plants as possible.  Well, it really is amazing how many large containers you have around if you really search.  I found 4 and filled them up with water.  So as I cut one portion on plants loose, I stuck them in those until they were packed.  But as long as they have water, they are fine.

The next day, having many plants in water in containers, I got a bit more brutal.  I just kept cutting with the digger knife until I was down to about 1/3 the root mass.  I weighed myself in the  morning and later in the day.  I lost 3 pounds in sweat.  So I drank a lot more Gatorade, sat inside an hour and went back outside. 

THIS TIME, I was able to lift the preformed pond up and over, spilling the remaining root mass onto the lawn.  Whew, that was a great relief.  I now had the preformed pond loose and could look for a hole to repair.  And I couldn't find one.  The best way to look for a hole in something is to hold it up to the sunlight.  Nothing, nada, zip...  So I set the preform on the lawn and filled it up halfway (because it seemed to be leaking lower than that).


The next morning, the water level was exactly the same!  I was utterly baffled.  So I scooped out the water and poured it on plants (avoiding wasting water) and considered the shaped hole in the ground.  Well, it was never quite level, so I added some soil at the low end, and pounded in in removing the smallest bits of gravel.

So I put the pre-form back in place.  And refilled it.  It isn't "perfectly" level, but within 1/2" and that is good enough.  It used to be a bit tilted toward the back, so the front always looked a little empty.  Now the front always looks full.  Better.

Now I have to wait to see if it leaks again.  I put a stake at the spot where the water overflows.  If it is below that in 2 days (accounting for evaporation), I will drain it and decide whether to line the inside with plastic, scrub the outside and inside and paint it (inside and out with a water sealant, or replace it.

I have enough problems with some parts of the yard as it is (wild blackberries, english ivy, and poison ivy showing up everywhere).  I really didn't need this one.  But it was a very specific problem and I sort of needed that.

Those other problems come next.  I'm in activity-mode...




2 comments:

Megan said...

Very curious about leaking and now, apparently, not leaking. I'm looking forward to hearing the outcome!

How is the vegetable garden performing this year? You haven't said very much about it and there have been no pics.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

pilch92 said...

That does look like a lot of work. They were definitely root bound.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...