Friday, November 26, 2010

Flowerbed Border, Part 2

I got at the border.  First, I hauled the shovels, rakes, and implements of destruction.  The idea was to simply dig an entire trench 6" wide and deep.  The crocus bulbs don't need to be planted that deep, but I wanted loose fertilized soil under the bulbs for good root development and to get rid of stones.
BTW, you can just see the row of paver stones I laid along the edge of the border a few years ago.  They help, but grass grows between them and it is hard to pull out.  Looks good when the leaves aren't covering them, though.


In addition, the plastic border edging was of mismatched pieces.  Since I was digging anyway, I decided to replace it with one long edge of better quality.

Unfortunately, the wheelbarrow only holds about 12' of trench soil, so I had to do the long portion (36')  in 3 parts.  That meant I had to dig a narrow 2" trench for the new edger first, set it in, backfill to hold it in place, and then re-dig each 6"x6"x12' section for planting.  This is getting to be a serious amount of spade work!  Well at least I could dig the first 12' section and not backfill.

The plan (after the new edger was installed) was to dig a section of trench as also seen in the picture above)...

Scrape the bottom and mix in  (2-5-6 slow release organic) fertilizer...

Mark the spots for the blue fescue seedlings with landscape flags (wonderful things with many purposes),...

Place 5 crocus bulbs in between each flag (alternating yellow and purple),...

Backfill, then plant the fescue, remove the flags and repeat twice more.  Hmm, somehow I managed not to take a picture of the finished border with the Blue Fescue planted, and it is raining today.  Well, here's a stock photo of the fescue...

I managed to do the edger and the first 12' section one afternoon.  It sure gets dark early these days!  Just as well; I could hardly stand up after all that digging, bending, backfilling, etc.

I finished the long 36" border the next day.  Next, I have the 2 remaining length (between the 2 paths and beyond them).  Unfortunately, I seem to have ordered too few of the purple crocus.  I have to see if I can find more to finish the last section, otherwise, that waits till next Fall.

Oh man did my back hurt after the 1st day!  Then, when I STARTED on the 2nd day it was sore immediately.  I do some hard yardwork, but I don't do it steadily enough to avoid sore muscles.  I should start exercising on non-yardwork days.  But exercise is SO boring!  Thank The Great Pharma for Ibuprophen...  LOL!

I hope to remember to show good pictures of the border next year...

No comments:

Refrigerator Troubles

You may recall I was planning to have a new refrigerator delivered tomorrow.   The deal was that I would have the new one in the kitchen, th...