A few months ago, the tallest platform on one of the 2 cat trees came loose. Its the one that Ayla and Marley use to jump up to the top of the nearby bookcases, so there is sideways pressure going up and down. I discovered it was attached with bolts through plastic disks in the post and the plastic had broken at both the top and bottom. I thought about attaching blocks of wood in the post, but that seemed like a weak repair. So I searched for a replacement post.
The manufacturer of the brand didn't seem to sell replacements, but I found one at another brand's site. Assuming they were all the same, I ordered one. It arrived. With a block of wood in the top and bottom of the post, LOL! And the wood stuck down out of the post slightly, which meant it would wobble a bit no matter how tight. But it also had a long skinny bolt sticking DOWN several inches and a smaller one sticking UP an inch. Well, that was no good, either bolt would injure the cats.
So I complained to the seller and demanded a free return label. They just credited my card instead. Fine. I just ignored the whole problem for a while.
A few days ago, I got back at it. As awkward as it was to do, I got both bolts out and drilled the holes larger to fit the original bolts (which were flush to the surfaces and capped with protective plastic caps). Then I clamped the post in a bench vise and planed the wood blocks flush with the surface.
The original bolts had little hex-shaped indents for tightening with an allen wrench, which holds well but can be difficult to turn. But I got that done eventually, and the platform was re-installed nice and tight! Hurray!