There has been this ridge in the backyard since I moved here 29 years ago (and by coincidence, this is the very week I moved here). It has always been a problem. Too sloped and uneven to mow. A few years after I moved in, I was able to get it mostly cleared of scrub trees and vines. But they kept growing back and English ivy slowly took over. I cut back the tree seedlings many times and even painted herbicide on the cut trunks, but it hardly slowed them down.
I finally contacted an excavator who came out and gave me a quote for leveling the ridge and raising a portion of the front yard that flooded after heavy rains. I accepted the quote on the spot and they said they would do the work the following week. When they didn't arrive, I called only to be told they were too busy.
So I contacted some other excavators who decided the job was too small. Only one agreed (reluctantly - he is 45 minutes away from here) and would not come out to give a quote - I would have to accept the cost afterwards.
Then, Monday afternoon, the original contractor called to say they had a break in their schedule and could do the job the next morning if I was still interested. I was, and they did!
I am delighted with the results. They did even more than I thought they could (considering 2 small trees I wanted to save).
It looked like this to start...
I need to drag out the roto-tiller first. Even though the Bobcat has track treads to reduce soil compaction, the new surface is still too packed to just plant in. The front yard will just get grass.
I wish I had had this done 20 years ago!