So after the "energy inspector" left yesterday, I had other things to do.
First, there was yet one more form to get notarized about Dad's death. Dad had 4 investment accounts and life insurance (and 2 days retirement pay), which all required some forms (several of which needed bank manager legal signatures and stamps). So I had all but the last one signed, copied and filed. The last was just a Notary stamp, and I had the envelope all filled out (just needing the one last page stamped).
I got that, went straight to the post Office (they were all oversize envelopes of 6-10 pages, so I couldn't just stick an extra stamp on them). OK, that's all done.
I'm conflicted. I don't need the money (I've been fortunate to have done well enough myself). But I'm grateful to Dad for having accumulated it over his life and I appreciate my portion of his life's savings. And he knew from our financial discussions over the years that I was doing well.
So I'm going to increase my giving to charitable organization that I think help the world best. I'm not naming specific ones, but world hunger, world medical treatments, and the general environment are high on my list. And there will be a local cat no kill-shelter (Southern Maryland suggestions are invited).
After getting home, I planted leeks among the corn. There's enough sunlight around the base of the corn for the leeks to thrive. It was nice to get some dirt under my fingernails! I have the corns planted about 8" apart in bins (its an experiment), but I figure the small space the leeks require won't bother the corn. SCORE!
And then I wanted to get my garden mailbox re-installed. I use 2 mailboxes in the yard to store small tools. One is in the garden itself (for hand tools). The other is at the deck for hose nozzles and attachments. This one was the latter. The old attachment had been poorly constructed and a bit off level. I fixed that today, and attached it to the center post of the new deck absolutely level. SCORE!
They I decided to hang the niger thistle-seed finch-feeder from the center of the deck. But there were 3 deck posts and only 2 long hangers. So I need a third. But I did have the 2 to install, so I did that. And in honor of the new deck, I did it RIGHT!
I set one about balanced sideways on the post and clamped it loosely. I have this neat tool that gives an analog dial red at any angle. Old but accurate. I clamped the hanger in about the center and level position, then measured it side to side. I attached a screw at the bottom, then adjusted the position of the hanger to be level and clamped it tight. Set in another screw at the top (pilot hole for accuracy and all that ease of screwing). Perfect. Now I just have to plant some appropriate flowers in the baskets to be hung.
After THAT, I dug up weeds around the tomatoes and the bell peppers I planted. They are all doing well.
By tht time, it was getting near dark out. I called the cats in. They get kibbles as treats when the come in when called. Dinner was a smoked half steak sliced thin with carmelized onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and crimini mushrooms (cheaper lately than regular white mushrooms), bean beans, tossed salad, and M/V potato.