Sometimes mowing the lawn is not so easy. In early April, I pulled up some chicken wire and laid it to the side of the garden. I wedged up some 4'x4' posts to and set them on the chicken wire. On top of that has come a series of dug-up carpet (still solid after 25 years) black plastic, landscaping fabric, and at the lowest level there was synthetic burlap (also un-degraded). I can't imagine I ever used some of that stuff.
The removal of all that stuff has been brutal!
Each layer has required spade work under each layer to pry it up then
yank it away from the intruding vine roots by hand a few inches at a
time. Each exposed layer has had tree roots running through from the
neighbor's yard. It terrible!
But the grass was
growing throught the chicken wire and I had to do something about it. I
pulled the chicken wire up, and it was like ripping asphault off the
driveway. Each 25' piece took 15 minutes of hard pulling up from the
grass. And then there were all the previously pruned pieces of thorny
rose bushes and tree trimminings.
It took 45 minutes before I could even mow the overgrown lawn area.
then it took multiple mowings over the overgrown area to get them down
to height. The grass won't like that. The rule is never remove more
that a 1/3 of a grass height. I removed 4/5ths . I'll have to tend to
them kindly for a few months.
I am so far behind this year...