Monday, November 1, 2010

Election Day!


Forgive a mixture of humor and seriousness...

Tomorrow is Election Day!  Vote!  If there is not someone you are thrilled with, there is surely someone you would regret to see in office.  So go vote for someone other than that person!  It is worth standing in line for an hour to do it once every couple of years.  You stood in line longer than that for the new tech gadget or concert ticket.

It matters that you go out and vote because some important elections come down to very small differences in votes.  A few hundred votes in FL and Al Gore would have been president. Our recent history would have been very different had that decision come out differently!  But it matters in smaller elections too.

Senate and House elections matter.  So do Governor elections where they are being held.  But so do School Board elections.  They determine what our children will be taught!  Read about those in the local newspaper or League of Women Voters.

I will admit that I am an unabashed Progressive Republican.  That means I an socially progressive and fiscally moderate.  There aren't many around like me anymore.  WE were driven out of the Republican party by the Goldwater people in 1964, and it has only gotten worse over the decades.  And, sadly, it means I have to vote Democrat most of the time.  Because what is good for ALL PEOPLE is more important to me than what is good for ME personally.

I'll pay more tax to improve schools.  I'll pay more tax to make prisons a place to get a second chance rather than a small room for life.  I support Workfare.  If someone gets a free check from me, then they can damn well earn it doing whatever they CAN do.  We have enough litterred streets and schools needing monitors and elder parents needing assistance, to employ every person getting a welfare check.  And if they have young children, let's set up day-care centers for them (and employ qualified day-care people).  Lets put people to work for what they get from US.  It seems fair to me.

So, if you want the US to get better?  VOTE!

VOTE for the Democrat of your choice, but VOTE!  ;)

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

It is a priviledge which too many have died for to ignore=everyone should always vote and appreciate the sacrifice so many have made for our rights...Hope you have a great day.

Just Ducky said...

Mum voted for all of us.

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...