Thursday, April 8, 2010

Flowerbed Problem

Sometimes, perennial flowerbeds just DIE.  Oh sure, there are often 2 of 12 plants that don't return and need to be replaced.  But I mean a place where, for no known reason, an entire area just DIES...

Last year, this spot was filled with columbines and coreopsis.  They seemed healthy at the end of the year!  They are are up and 6" tall in other spots in the garden.  But they are just completely gone here.


What you see there are winter weeds.  Purple deadnettle or something like that.  I've pulled them up relentlessly before they flower in years past, but they seem unstoppable.  Yet, they shouldn't make any difference.  I mean, they shouldn't be stopping any perennials from growing back in Spring.

I'll give them several weeks to show up, then I'm scraping the surface a few inch deep with the spade and then planting annuals (hmmm, maybe tomatoes) this year.  This coming winter, I'll cover the hole area with black plastic and kill all the winter weeds.

Sometimes bad things happen and you just have to start again...

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Funny how things work out sometimes...I have a lot of trouble with weeds every year in my front yard; even though I use Scots products every Fall and Spring, it is a constant battle...It has been suggested to me that part of my problem is because I live in the middle of a cul-de-sac and everything gets blown into my yard...I don't know what else to do, so I fight it every year and have just decided these weeds are like cockroaches, they will probably survive a nuclear blast!...Good luck with your spot, I hope your flowers grow back, although tomatoes sound good too.

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...