One of the things I had to do when I expected the excavator contractor to show up "any tomorrow" was remove the birdfeeder. It wasn't easy. Try setting a pipe 3' deep in the ground for almost 30 years and see if IT is easy to pull out!
It took work. But I did it. But then I had this thing with a 24" saucer under it and a 18" baffle below (successful squirrel baffles) and no where to put it. So I set it against the deck where the 24" saucer fit in tight. Seemed safe.
Nope! I went out today and the whole thing had fallen over. And falling over, it broke! I don't think it is repairable. I'm going to have to build a new one.
Now, on one hand, I'm sad it broke. It lasted 20 years (all cedar) and the cardinals and finches loved it. On the other hand, I wanted to improve it a bit anyway. I'd rather it had stayed intact, but I'll take advantage of the damage to build it better.
A lot larger to begin with, and with an interior slope to make the last seeds go down to the feeding tray.
But I wouldn't have to worry about this if the excavation contractor who said they would be here had come here instead of begging off for better jobs. I'm still p&*@ed about that!
I hope the new feeder is as well-built as the previous one. Some things just go better the first time around and you can't duplicate it. So maybe the new one will be better and maybe not.