Frustrated with the poor/confusing installation instructions that came with my new humidifier, I emailed the company. First, I have to admit that one of my questions had an error. I asked about the wires coming out of the transformer when I meant the drum motor.
But the rest of the reply I received was of little help and one part I think is factually inaccurate. But, ONE thing that was mentioned (and not an answer to any of my questions) solved my whole problem!
The wires coming out of the heat pump blower unit were (I assumed) 120v and I was distressed to see 120v going through such thin wires. The included transformer is supposed to reduce the regular household current from 120v to 24v. The technician mentioned looking for a connection on the blower labelled "HUM" (which I assume stands for "humidifier"). I didn't find "HUM", but I did find a spot where regular household wired went IN and the thin wires came OUT.
EUREKA! The current was ALREADY reduced to 24v; no need for the included transformer. And staring at the instructions one last time, I realized that while the existing wiring through the humidifier control LOOKED different from the diagram, it was functionally the same.
I used some doorbell wire I had (which is standard for 24v circuits) and attached the drum motor wires to the existing wires.
Darn good thing, too, because I called an electrician and was told it would be $90 for a service visit and $120 per hour after that (minimum 1 hour fee). I sure hope the new humidifier works well, because the humidity in the house today is only 19% and I am very tired of all the static electricity!