Well, I went to plant the new hostas I received a few days ago and got a real surprise!
The existing hostas are all fully grown. So I just assumed that where there weren't any, they had died, and I had ordered replacements. At every spot but one today, I found vole holes around the roots, but each one was still surviving and just now sending up new shoots!
Now I have 9 hostas to find new places for. I have 2 hosta beds. The backyard one has hostas placed far enough apart so that they are individual specimens. I don't want to add more there. The front yard bed has them crowded and overlapping (poor planning on my part, but the effect IS lush), so I CAN'T add more there.
Guess I'll have to make a 3rd hosta bed. I certainly have enough shade...