email: cavebear2118 AT verizon DOT com

Privacy Notice: About Cookies

This blog site uses cookies from Google and from Stat Counter to analyze visitor traffic. Your IP address along with your city, state and country are recorded. The European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requires this notice.


Thursday, July 9, 2009

Removing Vines From Garden Beds

Well, I started pulling vines on out of another garden bed today. I loosened the soil around the roots to get out as much vine roots as possible.

Even with a leverage fork, it wasn't easy. That a great tool. BTW. The whole thing is solid metal and the bar behind it provides great leverage. It works great. You stab it into the soil then pull back.






When I came across a poison ivy plant in the bed, I stopped and went inside to wash my hands and arms and douse them with rubbing alcohol. I used to be immune to it. Several years ago, I developed a terrible case of it that lasted 2 weeks. I won't risk that again!



But I did dig up a real pile of vines as deep as I could get at the roots.



I'll dig up the poison ivy plants and deep as I can dig, and wearing rubber gloves for protection. I'll have a bucket of soapy water to put them into before I so much as touch a door to the house.

I'm getting there...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion about your beds.

I noticed the ends are butted one to another, then you brace them.

If you alternate them like a log cabin, then attach them, the external bracing would be eliminated, making it look neater.

Also, if you use landscaping timers, or are good with a drill with 2 by's, you can try this.

drill a hole down the corner, a half inch. ALL the way thru. Hammer a half inch piece of rebar thru the hole and into the ground.

It is amazing how strong that joint will be now.

da bear

Cavebear said...

Da Bear - You are quite right about the weak construction of that bed.

That was one of the first 2 beds I built almost 20 years ago, when I was big into "Square Foot Gardening".

I felt I could give up 3" of length rather than 3" width at the time. And I did do the overlapping on the 3'x3' box next to it.

I have been planning to rebuild the framed beds for a couple of years now (especially the trellis bed which is falling outwards in spite on braces). I will probably use the overlap and rebar construction idea then.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I used the overlap method on the right front landsape box I built a few years later. It is very solid.

You might have noticed that I did not on the new left front landscape box. I was forced by dimensions. The area was 12'x8' plus a couple of inches. Butt-joints were the only way to reduce the gap at the house and step ends to the minimum.

Well, I had to make the outside corners meet. But even then, I could have simply bought longer boards and cut them to exact length for an overlap. I did it "cheap". That's not the way to go...

At least I put the braces on the INSIDE this time. ;)

Cavebear

Alasandra said...

That tool looks really handy, I'll have to check into getting one.