Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Cooking Time, Part 1

I've been cooking for myself for almost 50 years.  I don't often see a new recipe that I suspect I will like.  The newspaper food section offers stuff like fish smothered in strawberries or pork with aocado sauce.  I know what I like and don't like.  Adding stuff like tofu and pineapple to my tossed salad isn't my style.

But I came across one in Better Homes and Gardens (I got a free subscription with some thing I bought at a store).  It seemed weird, but I tried it.  And I LOVED it!

So here it is (my adjusted version):

1.  Preheat oven to 400F. 
2.  Spray or wipe some olive oil on a sheet pan. 
3.  In a plastic bag, place 6 bone-in chicken thighs, add some olive oil to coat, add some salt, ground pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and some dried red pepper flakes to taste.  Shake bag to spread spices.
4.  Place chicken on baking sheet.
5.  Add 1 lemon and 2 shallots cut into wedges.
6.  Bake 30-40 minutes until chicken thighs are 175F.
7.  Squeeze lemons to release remaining juice.  Careful, they are hot.
8.  Remove chicken to bowl and cover to keep warm.
9.  Add 1/2 cup green olives and 2 pats butter to pan.  Return pan to oven for 5 minutes.
10.  Pour heated pan liquid into a fat separator for 5 minutes.  It separates quickly.
11.  Pour juices over chicken and let sit 5 minutes.
12.  Serve over any starch or pasta you like or none.

3 comments:

AnnDee said...

We do something similar.
Try coating with an Italian dressing.
We also use powdered ranch dressing stuff.
Tarragon (yum).

We buy 12-packs of thighs and bake them in three separate pans. Two pans' worth go into separate bags in the freezer, the other is eaten at the time.

We'll have to try the pasta idea.

Megan said...

Hmmm - I don't like olives, so I think I'll give it a miss. We cook a chicken curry that we really like using chicken thigh fillets. We typically cook about 16 at once, then eat one each and freeze the remainder in small tubs.

What was it about this recipe that attracted you enough for you to give it a go?

I'm also curious about a 'fat separator'. I don't think I've ever heard of one of them before.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

pilch92 said...

That sounds good except for the olive part. :)

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...