Sunday, September 1, 2013

It Was 27 Years Today...

...that I moved into my "starter home".  I'm still here! 

I went through a long string of bad apartments and many roommates to slightly better apartments with a 2 roommates to a rented house with one roommate, to the same rented house alone.  And then FINALLY came the day when I was 36 and could get my own house.

I did a lot of research.  The Washington DC area is expensive, and the several counties surrounding it were not much better.  A co-worker pointed out that e lived just beyond the county line of the 2nd level of counties out from DC, and I learned that a house there cost only half of what the same house (on a smaller property) cost closer in.  The trade-off was a slightly longer commute.

I had to look around a lot before I found what I was looking for (large property with a decent house size).  I told the realty agent that I didn't care about schools, community activities, shopping, or restaurants.  Well, I'm a real homebody; you plant me in a decent house and yard and sometimes I don't leave it for a week (except for commuting to work before I retired).

The realty agent kept showing me tiny ranch house on tiny properties.  He was convinced that, as a single guy, all I needed out of life was basically a one-bedroom apartment with barely space for a M/V and a TV, a living room for parties, planted on the smallest possible yard (because who wants to mow a large lawn anyway).

After being driven the the umpteenth tiny house and yard I finally grabbed him by his cheap shiny garish tie and made him listen to me.  The next day, he drove me to a newly-built dead-end street just being developed.  30 lots available and I could choose any one.  Plus the developer had several varieties of houses to choose from.  I identified the best one by size and flatness and available sunlight.  It had 5 sides (comes to a point in the back because the street behind it is curved.

And I discovered "split-foyer" houses.  I grew up where basements were below ground and there was a one or 2 story house above that.  Split-foyer means that the basement is at ground level with basically a large ranch house on top of it, and the front door is halfway up so that there is a half stair leading up to the living area and a half stair going down to the basement.  So the front door is 6 steps up from ground level.  It's weird.  But I like it.

With 3 "bedrooms" there is a master bedroom, a computer/library room, and there was a guest bedroom that is now the cat playroom.  The basement has an enclosed garage and the rest is a nice woodworking shop.  The dining room is now the TV room and the living room is now the dining/cat tree/library room.

The yard is a half acre.  Half of the back yard is left relatively wild and half is flowers and garden with some small lawn.  I keep the front yard rather standard for the benefit of my neighbors.  My one gift to my neighbors is a standard routine appearance.  I live mostly inside or in the back yard, so I don't really care about the front; so let it please the neighbors.  The front yard is planted with some hostas and a few showy shrubs. 

After 27 years, I know every stone, weed, and mole tunnel.  My friends and siblings say I must be bored living in the same old place for so long.  Why should I be bored?  I LIKE this place.  The inside is perfected to my tastes (which don't change by fashion demands), and the outside is so familiar and comfortable.

For a "starter home", its pretty good.

So I am celebrating this 27th anniversary here, remembering how it was the day I moved in vs how it looks today.

8 comments:

Catio Tales said...

Congratulations!

I do love reading your posts. I bought my apartment in the UK and stayed there for 13 years: why move if you like something ? When I did sell, to emigrate, the estate agent thought I was insane for having lived in the same place for so long. Why hadn't I cashed in on the property boom ?

A house is so much more than that. It should be home. And I wish you many more happy years in your home.

Thumper said...

Nice! We bought our "starter" home 4.5 years ago after 20 years of the USAF bouncing us around and 4 years of renting houses that kept getting foreclosed on. I doubt we'll ever move...not unless we win the lottery, and I keep forgetting to buy tickets for that ;)

When you get the right one, you know it. I love our little town and will be happy to stay here (though when I do win the lottery I want a vacation place in San Francisco LOL)

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

To both of you... I have never understood the obsession most people have with short-term changes in property value. So what if your house drops in value for a couple years? You have the house because you LIVE there.

So if it it is temporarily less than the mortgage, you just STAY there until the market catches back up to you.

A home isn't an investment; its where you live.

Megan said...

Congratulations Mark.

My house is my sanctuary. We moved into our current place thinking that we would only stay a short while and then move interstate. We've now been here 17 years with no plans to move. We're only the second owners of our house, which is 31 years old. The house next door on one side is still occupied by the original owners and on the other, the original owners have only just sold and moved because they wanted something smaller in their old age.

My thinking about house prices - and you do end up thinking a lot about house prices in Sydney because they are extraordinarily high - is that if you're going to sell and buy something else in the same city, you're not going to make much money because while the price of your house might have risen, so has the price of everyone else's house, including the one you're moving to.

Fabulous that you found somewhere that has suited you so well and given you so much pleasure.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Katnip Lounge said...

Happy House-aversary!

Scott and I are in (we hope) our final house. We've been here 12 years now and we cannot imagine living anywhere else. We are homebodies too...

Your place sounds lovely and I always enjoy you Thursday posts, seeing what's growing in your garden. it's so different from what I have now here in the desert.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

We have one more move in us. We will need to downsize. I find it rather funny now. When we bought our "dream house" in 1999 (just realized that was the same year Abby was born) I thought they'd have to drag me out of here. But as age as progressed and caught up with us, well we're a bit far out and the property is too large. The day is coming when we'll find a retirement community to settle into our final days. But concats on the 27 years! That is fantastic.

Spindrifters said...

What a rewarding milestone! My starter house (purchased with $$ from my parent's estate) was 650 square feet and with the help of a very competent contractor, it was remodeled & added 200 more square ft., which made it really liveable for one.

When The Shepherd & I got married, we sold it for 4 times the original purchase price and bought the place we've lived in for almost 20 years. (Seriously, I'm hoping I die first so I don't have to pack up to move)

Concatulations to you and the kids. Enjoy every inch of your castle! T.

Tina T-P said...

Oops, one of my alter egos...T.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...