Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Big 10" Fish

Well, OK, the warm-water Plecostomus catfish/algae-eater is really 9.5", but I love it just the same.  Sadly, it has gotten too big for my 30 gallon aquarium, so I offerred it free to "a good home" on Craigslist, asking for aquarium size and pictures of the new aquarium home.

What an adventure!  I received 6 inquiries the first day.  Only one sent a picture and said the aquarium was 150 gallons, but I saw goldfish in there.  Still, it was in the house, so it couldn't be THAT cold.  That person promised to come by Monday night, then Tuesday with a big net and transport box.  Haven't heard from him since.

The 2nd person had a 125 gallon aquarium and "really been looking for" a large Pleco.  2 emails, no further response.

3rd admitted to having a large oscar that killed smaller plecos.  Forget that!

2 others that haven't replied to requests for pictures of their aquarium.

Oh drat!  The most promising person just replied "no longer interested".  Sad...

And then there were the spam responses.  They were hilarious AND pathetically easy to identify.  They said they wanted a cuddly pet for their kids, and asked if it had gotten its shots.  All said almost the exact same thing.  Some sort of flash mob game, I suppose.  Very strange.

But here I am now with my plecostomus, too big for the aquarium, and only one person left who might want it (I'm waiting for a reply).

I really care about the Pleco.  Its somewhere between 12-15 years old and I got it as a baby at 1".  And I KNOW that some person or business with a large display tank would love having this fish.

JUST got a reply from the best home.  She wanted it for a friend's aquarium.  Friend was too far to drive here and she won't drive into MD.  I won't drive into VA.

I will put up a new ad on Craigslist tonight...  I just want a better home for my Pleco.






7 comments:

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

Wow, I had no idea they lived that long! My mother used to have a catfish/algae eater that she would pet! He seemed to like it. they had huge aquariums when I was a kid. Now days, all they have is a 25 (I think) gallon tank for their turtles, who eat goldfish.
I hope you get a home for your guy soon. Or a larger tank so he can stay? lol

Mariodacatsmom said...

Awww, he is kinda pretty. I can see why you are attached to him if you've had him that long. Sometimes you have to wonder where people are coming from when you clearly asked for specifics!

Shaggy and Scout said...

He is a handsome fellow indeed! Do you remember the other time you posted a picture of him and that night I had a scary dream that he was creeping around my house?
I wonder if he went to a new home it might be a deadly shock to his system. He's drown up in the water environment you've provided all these years and it totally agrees with him. I wojavascript:void(0)nder how many other fish people are so meticulous about their tank conditions. Just a thought.
KEEP HIM! (Ok, I'm sentimental)

Shaggy and Scout said...

*He's "grown" up in the water environment......is how that should read. Not 'drown' in the water...

Unknown said...

He is a great fish! Too bad we are so far away. There is a fish restaurant that has the best aquarium. The guy who owns the restaurant is an ex-dentist and he loves his fish, the tank is huge and he has the healthiest fish!!!
Ciao
Nellie's Mom

Bella said...

Here in Delaware there is a company that maintains aqariums in the nursing home where my mother lives. You might check with such places in your area and if they have an aquarium donate him. Meanwhile I'll try to get the name of the company here.

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

Greg suggested contacting the guys from the show Tanked. I know they are in Vegas, but they do tanks everywhere and they've transfered fish who got too large for their tanks in the past. I dont know, might be worth a shot?

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...