The rotating hose reel project has been a real challenge. Every time I think I has something right, it's wrong.
The original plan had a 6"x6"x5' post (a leftover from when the deck was built 3 years ago). Leftovers are always useful for SOMETHING eventually. That part stayed.
I was thinking that the turntable construction needed 12" boards across it for stability and some other boards as braces on the sides.
But it occurred to me that metal angle brackets would to that side strength. And then I realized the more metal brackets could replace ALL the boards. And a lot easier to install...
So what was first a rather complicated structure of 12" carriage bolts and 10" lag screws became a simpler build of 3" deck screws into angle brackets.
So I dragged the 6"x6"x5' post into the basement and clamped it upright in my bench vise. I needed two 3" angle brackets on the front and back and two 4" brackets on the sides.
But then I decided that having 2 brackets on each side of the post was even sturdier. One is good, two are better! I've never seen anything I can't over-build...
I had some 3" brackets and screwed them in. I had to buy some 4" brackets. To my surprise, all the DIY stores were CLOSED on Thanksgiving day. They are even open on Easter! Walmart was open though. But they had only 3" brackets. So I got the 4" ones Friday.
Reality is cruel! When I went to attach the 4" brackets, the screws hit the 3" bracket screws! ARGH... I don't have a picture of the 3" brackets screwed in, but the dots mark the spots
Tomorrow, installing the post outside...